Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an early 70's LT 1 350, 10 to 1 domes 194 fuely heads and a "3/4" crowler cam, automatic, no AC. It gets hot after a ride to Hampton Beach (not overheating but harder to start, about 200 degrees). My timing seems:pow-mia: good & I was thinking I could change the original 2 core radiator to aluminum. I have already put a plastic flex fan on.
I see a 3 row alum. direct fit replacement on e bay for $195 (oscar's radiators, Pheonix). Or should I look at one with an electric fan on it? I know it saves a little HP by taking the fan off, but I'm more looking just to cool down.
What do you think?
Thank you

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
well i bet you would be ok just doing the radiator swap and using your factory shroud and mechanical fan. :yes: imo though

·
6,402 Posts
200 degrees is not hot. If the issue is harder to start then you may have something that a new rad is not going to be the answer. It may be somewhat cooler driving around but you could still have a harder to start problem. There's a lot of possibilities ranging from timing, carb., fuel line routing, starter, etc..... Is the rad undersized(6 cly rad), or under sized or improper fan. If the rad is right and the fan adequate and the engine is not over heating, chances are your rad and engine are happy(cooling wise).

·
Registered
566 Posts
Personally, I don't agree. If the radiator can't keep the engine down to 180 or 190, ( thermostat operating temp ) then it's undersized or inefficient.

As I understand flex fans, they save power because they flex out 'flat' at speed, therefore put less load on the engine; by drawing less air. It sounds like you put a flex fan on in response to the heat issue. Well, they save power, but as I understand it, they don't improve airflow ( at speed )

I always like to suggest oil coolers to guys having heating issues, because cooling the oil does amazing things for the oil properties. A large oil cooler, drawing cool air ( not hot air from the radiator ) is just about guaranteed to drop the operating temp of you engine 10-20 degrees ( at speed ).

I would bet that the new radiator would solve your heating issue, without the electric fan. Aluminum radiators are much more efficient than the old copper, especially the 20 year old copper which is probably clogged up anyway.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Shouldn't need an oil cooler for this motor. Get rid of the flex fan and put on a clutch fan (with a shroud)!. That is all I used for the longest time with a stock 2 core radiator and it would stay at 180 all day.

Fan like this but there are different diameters available
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=FLX-5717&N=700+400226+115&autoview=sku

and a clutch like this (don't know if this is for your application I just picked one as an example)
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=FLX-5555&N=700+400226+4294887720+4294908395+4294908216+4294840140+4294889107+115&autoview=sku

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Yeah, Im thinking 200 degrees is too hot... Running temp. Can be hard starting for a carb. I say stuff the front with aluminum, I have a very large griffin radiator, and a large but efficient electric fan. A really large radiator doesn't really need a massive fan though. A BIG radiator with a clutch fan will cool ok. The electric fans show their value during stop and go traffic. JR

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all you guys

Appreciate all your input. I'll let you know what I do and how it works. Probably a week.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
ill bet its hard to start because of header heat are you using a stock starter you may need to wrap it in some sort of heat blanket or you could get a mini starter to give you some extra room between the too

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
ill bet its hard to start because of header heat are you using a stock starter you may need to wrap it in some sort of heat blanket or you could get a mini starter to give you some extra room between the too
I thought that too at first, but he didnt say cranking the engine over was an issue so I kinda dismissed it. I interpreted it as it was cranking but not firing. I could be wrong. JR

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Maybe a foolish question but at highway speeds should one have his electric fan on or not? I don't have a engine fan but do have a shroud,also a large 3 core aluminum radiator.Champion brand.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought that too at first, but he didnt say cranking the engine over was an issue so I kinda dismissed it. I interpreted it as it was cranking but not firing. I could be wrong. JR
So just exhaust heat will affect starting? The starter drags when I try to start it after it's hot. It does crank very slowly only when hot. I have an accel starter from about 17 years ago, I cant remember what kind. If it still has a problem after I put the radiator and shroud on I'll look into the exhaust heat issue.

Thanks for your input

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
check to see if your battery positive cable is hot when you try to start it maybe you have resistance some where and you may need that " hot shot relay " from painlesswire just a thought though have you change anything since then ill bet that the windings are just about history in that starter of your you may need a new starter

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
So just exhaust heat will affect starting? The starter drags when I try to start it after it's hot. It does crank very slowly only when hot. I have an accel starter from about 17 years ago, I cant remember what kind. If it still has a problem after I put the radiator and shroud on I'll look into the exhaust heat issue.

Thanks for your input
Oh??? So it is a cranking issue. Then there are a few things you can do. A remote starter solenoid helps. Some heat shrouding between the exhaust and the starter for a radiant heat barrier is also a good idea to help keep the starter motor cool. Heat is the number one killer of electric motors. JR

·
Super Moderator
9,776 Posts
FWIW on the radiator question...

I have an aluminum radiator, and (long story short) I took a 20 minute drive the other day with the electric fan unplugged. At 30-40mph, I didn't miss it a bit. After about 5 minutes in stop and go...temp started climbing. I would like to put a better electric fan on (I have a Taurus one waiting in the garage) but I have no doubt now that even the so-so fan I have is making a difference.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
FWIW on the radiator question...

I have an aluminum radiator, and (long story short) I took a 20 minute drive the other day with the electric fan unplugged. At 30-40mph, I didn't miss it a bit. After about 5 minutes in stop and go...temp started climbing. I would like to put a better electric fan on (I have a Taurus one waiting in the garage) but I have no doubt now that even the so-so fan I have is making a difference.
its always good to find a fan that fits the radiator core the best i personally like the flex o lite black magic extreme 16" universal fan part # 180 it is shrouded and covers up 45% more radiator surface it also has 3300 cfm. if it was me i would use this fan with a high flow water pump 35 gpm or more mecanical or electric and run a cooling fan harness ( one that turns on and off at set temperatures ) example: 185 on / 170 off for a 180 thermostat but this is my opinion though. on my car right now im running a edelbrock victor series pump and a flex o lite 10,000 rpm flex fan and a stock nova shroud with my jegs universal aluminum radiator and it rarely gets up to 200* we are now coming into our hottest part of the year in so cal so we will see how it does on the freeway it stays around 170 in stop n go traffic i gets up to 190 maybe this is on my aluminum headed 11:1 comp. 360 c.i. pump gas motor that i drive to the track and back it runs low 12s has a th350 with a 3000 converter ( soon to be 4500 ) and 3.73 in a moser 9'' rearend with 27'' tall tires. like i said though we are now getting into our hottest part of the year and im sure we will see triple diget numbers in the next couple of months

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm reading everything you guys suggest

OK
I'm going to put a heat barrier between the headers and starter. Although starter is old it is on a car that sat for 15 + years, probably OK.? Working on a shroud, clutch fan and 3 row aluminum radiator.
Thanks for your time. I'll let you know

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update

I installed a 3 core aluminum from Oscar's Radiator (Phoenix,AZ), a new 180 thermostat, and 2 gauge battery cables. This completely cured my hard to start problem. The motor runs at 180 and after stop and go and idling only goes up to 190. I am still waiting for my shroud (ebay).

I don't think I'll need the heat barrier or the clutch fan.

Thanks for your help!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts