Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At highway speeds should the electric fan run constantly or not,I don't have a engine fan but do have a shroud.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have mine wired through a relay, toggle switch, and a temp sensor. My temp sensor is preset to come on at 185 and kick off at 170. But I can also turn it on manually through that toggle switch if need be.

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
At highway speeds should the electric fan run constantly or not,I don't have a engine fan but do have a shroud.
If you have it set to turn on with the engine temp it should run at that engine temp. The fan doesn't know if the car is moving or not. When I tried running electric fans on mine they would run on the highway because the car got hot at highway speed. If your engine gets and stays at the switch temperature then the fan will run. If the engine is at 180 and the fan should run at 190 then the fan should shut off. I found when I tried mine the on/off switch wasn’t real accurate. Mine was to come on at 180 and the temp gauge was often at 190-200 before the fan ran and it didn’t shut off at exactly 180.
It also depends where you have the gauge and fan switch. Engine temps vary based on where the sending unit is placed. I have seen the head is hotter than the intake when the temp gauge sending unit is moved around.

In short: Yes the fan will run at the temp the switch tells it to; moving or sitting.

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
My fan is set at 185, it only comes on at that time. If I am crusining down the freeway at 60, the engine is running at about 180. So I have to assume the fan is not running.:yes:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Highway is about 185,but I have 3:70's and 28" tall tires,3000 stall conv in my Turbo 350.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I also have it through a toggle, relay and adjustable temp sensor switch. JR

1 - 9 of 9 Posts