Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a small leak at the top of the rad from an "oops ":awkward:
While running, fluid does not spray out but a small amount of steam comes out. Once shut off it leaks out as seen in picture. Is there a way I can fix this or does it have to go to a shop?

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
I have a small leak at the top of the rad from an "oops ":awkward:
While running, fluid does not spray out but a small amount of steam comes out. Once shut off it leaks out as seen in picture. Is there a way I can fix this or does it have to go to a shop?

shaun,
that may be a tough fix.dirty aluminum(contaminated from coolant,grease,etc..) can be very challenging to weld.a copper or brass rads could be crimped to block off that tube only,but i don't think that's an option for aluminum.i have a good buddy that's a rad repairman and our mutual friend darren is also now working at a rad shop in maple ridge(he's not the 'expert',but there should be someone there that is).
P.M. me for contact phone #'s if you need help.
leftcoast carl.

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
After some home work found out JB weld works good on minor Aluminium rad repairs. This leak is at the very top of the rad. Even with rad full it is below the fluid line. So I did the following:

Drained a bit more fluid
Cleaned leak area with brake clean
Used blow drier to dry up leak area

Heated up one of those "magic bags" and wrapped the JB weld tubes to warm up contents so it would be more fluid to mix.

Used an old glass syringe with JB weld mixture in it to inject JB into hole(s)

Let JB set for a few hrs.

Fired up car ran until at operating temp. No leak, no steam . Let car run with fans off until at 190 - 200 degrees, no leak, no steam :D

small amount of rad fluid in fins is from before JB weld.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts