Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the alternator about a year ago and checked to make sure that all the wires are connected properly and securely. I also got a new battery about 6 months ago. Everything should be good but for some reason my GEN light came on again this morning and the alternator is only putting out 12 volts (was 14+ previously), about 11.5 with the lights on. Anybody see this before? You don't think that my alternator is fried already do you? If so, how could I have done this?

·
6,502 Posts
If it's an extrnally regulated alternator could the regulator be bad, not getting a good ground, or a connection on it ?. Could some other connection have gone bad or deteriorated ?

If all else fails, take the alternator off and have it tested.

Years ago on my 73 with an internal regulator I thought the regulator went out and put in a new one since the case was chromed and it worked fine for months then one day the GEN light was on dim, then off, then on bright and then off so I thought maybe the stereo system broke it again so I put in another new regulator. This one worked fine until months later when the same occured with the GEN light being different brightness and on and off. I troubleshot the alternator and the field wires (wire in the case) that bolted to the regulator had crimped on connections and by moving one of the terminals a certain way I would not show continuity or a break in the circuit. I then took the crimp connector off, sanded down the wire and scraped it clean (the wire is a solid core bell wire style with laquer or insulation painted onto it) and then took a new terminal, crimped it on and then soldered it all together and ever since that day until it got replaced with a larger one years down the road it worked fine.

Jim

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took a look this morning when I had good light to see that the nut holding the positive lead from the alternator to the ignition coil was missing and it appears as though my alternator arced with my valve cover as there is evidence of arcing. Checking this morning I was getting 10 volts from the alt. so I think I've found the problem.

My takeaway from this is make sure you give the car a thorough walk around after you've stored it for the winter. It's easy to go in and double check the stuff you worked in the winter, but the proper way is to make sure that all nuts, bolts, and loose ends are tight and secured to the proper specs. This will not only save you time and money but heartache as well.

Anybody good at rebuilding alternators? I got a sweet barely broken in Powermaster (<400 miles) that needs a home.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts