Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys need some help. This is my problem I put my car back together after a long 2 year restoration. Car wasn't charging it ended up being I forgot to ground the external regulator, since it was mounted on rubber well nuts that go into the radiator support. Got it charging just fine but before I found that problem I changed out my voltage regulator. So now I have a spare. Car was charging just fine 14.2 volts then I noticed my tach wasn't working. I am running a msd street ready distributor so I called msd and they sent me a tach fix I think it is a filter that goes on the negitive side of coil. Most old coil brackets have this filter on it. Problem solved tach was working. I drove it on it first long ride 1.5 hours or so car was great. On the way home I noticed the voltage gauge was alittle high. When I got home I noticed the battery had boiled over alittle. Took a voltage measurement and it was at 17.2 volts way to high. So I got my spare changed it out an had 16.5 volts still way to high. Do I have 2 bad voltage regulators or could there be a problem some were else. If I am not mistaking the voltage regulator contols the alternator to charge. Any Ideas would help. I am going to try to have the auto parts store test the regulators if they can.

Jason

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ok guys need some help. This is my problem I put my car back together after a long 2 year restoration. Car wasn't charging it ended up being I forgot to ground the external regulator, since it was mounted on rubber well nuts that go into the radiator support. Got it charging just fine but before I found that problem I changed out my voltage regulator. So now I have a spare. Car was charging just fine 14.2 volts then I noticed my tach wasn't working. I am running a msd street ready distributor so I called msd and they sent me a tach fix I think it is a filter that goes on the negitive side of coil. Most old coil brackets have this filter on it. Problem solved tach was working. I drove it on it first long ride 1.5 hours or so car was great. On the way home I noticed the voltage gauge was alittle high. When I got home I noticed the battery had boiled over alittle. Took a voltage measurement and it was at 17.2 volts way to high. So I got my spare changed it out an had 16.5 volts still way to high. Do I have 2 bad voltage regulators or could there be a problem some were else. If I am not mistaking the voltage regulator contols the alternator to charge. Any Ideas would help. I am going to try to have the auto parts store test the regulators if they can.

Jason
JASON,I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM,WHAT DID YOU FIND WAS WRONG?JERRY

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
its gonna explode ,,

i would turn on the lights to these cars and bleed off some of that battery power before I even got under the hood of these cars. This condition could cause the batteries to explode and believe me , its not a pretty site. I had a 70 Chevelle that the external regulator stuck and over-charged the battery. The car started acting funny , we pulled over , then it quit. Went to try to start it and BOOOOOM , the battery popped. Sounded like a shot gun. Destroyed the starter and alternator. I'd be very careful with these cars and I wouldn't even start them until i knew it had this problem fixed.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Voltage regulator. Mine did that for a while...I told everyone my car made so much power it was blowing the headlights out...lol.

·
Premium Member
6,852 Posts
x2 for the voltage regulator. In my case the bad regulator cooked the battery and alternator diode trio or something or other and it seemed the alternator was in need of a new everything internally except the stator and rotor. Shelved it. I bought a new Powermaster alternator and got an new Exide battery on my Optima warranty for free and now everything is perfect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts