Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a '70 with an '85 350ci. The alternator is brand new and was working well until I wrapped my wiring harness in split loom tubing. I noticed that I was running 12v on my voltage gauge. I kept an eye on it but it finally gave up on me. I did some continuity testing and found that the charge wire is continuous with hot and both wires in the square plug are continuous with ground. From what I understand, the charge wire is good, but isn't the plug key-on? I'm going to head out and do some more testing, but she's gotta make it to cruise week, so I'm looking for some advice. Thanks!

·
6,523 Posts
Hi all, I have a '70 with an '85 350ci. The alternator is brand new and was working well until I wrapped my wiring harness in split loom tubing. I noticed that I was running 12v on my voltage gauge. I kept an eye on it but it finally gave up on me. I did some continuity testing and found that the charge wire is continuous with hot and both wires in the square plug are continuous with ground. From what I understand, the charge wire is good, but isn't the plug key-on? I'm going to head out and do some more testing, but she's gotta make it to cruise week, so I'm looking for some advice. Thanks!
Man, you dug up an old memory of mine troubleshooting an issue on a customized Camaro years ago.

Did you by any chance, put on the split loom tubing that is plated in chrome or a gold color, or is it the black plastic stuff without any coating on it ?.

The story I have about the split loom wiring cover is this guy had put this stuff all over things on his motor and never had an issue and then at a show he asked me if I could look at his car as his radio stopped working. I cringed as he had a bunch of electronics added over the years and I stuck my head under the dash and it was full of wires going this way, that way, and all over. I checked the radio fuse and it was blown so I replaced it and turned the ignition on and it snapped right away and fast. I made sure the radio was off and thought, well it could be a radio issue but then got out a wiring diagram and found out his car also had a solenoid on the carb that was powered off of the same fuse. I looked real close and the split loom tubing he had on it was touching the terminal on the wire pushed onto the connector off of the solenoid. I trimmed some of the tubing back, added some heat shrink tubing over the connection,put in a new fuse and everything worked.

The plastic loom covering he had was chrome plated and it was creating a short to ground. On yours, the issue if you are using this type of covering is maybe it's shorting circuits together but not to a ground.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Spectre/865/2...t9DRu5N6T31rrRi1cLmbDfAfkcWEuP0D7YaAnC38P8HAQ

Jim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts