Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new alternator for my 64 SS. I have been looking at upgrading it to the Powermaster 47127. Someone else suggested I take my current alternator for a rebuild and they will do all the necessary upgrades ( 100 amps, Internal regulator.) Which route would you choose ?

I do have a double groove pulley attached to the alternator that goes with the power steering. I am leaning towards the rebuild because I know everything will fit. Suggestions appreciated !

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
i'd see what a rebuild of your alt. that needs repair might cost. like you said it all fits nice right now. there's an old shop around here that has been doing alt.,starters, an generators for i bet 40 years or more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, The guy around here has been rebuilding alternators here for the past 30 some years. He quoted me around $100 to rebuild it. He also stated he will make the wire loop hookup for the external regulator. Saving around 30 with the rebuild. The downside is the my current alternator casing has a faded metal look.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Going with a new Powermaster. I feel confident in doing the work myself thanks to knowledge I read from these forums.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Rebuilders usually clean up the cases pretty good. I’ve been toying with painting the alternator black on one of my projects.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts