Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help in regards with my alternator and how to wire it up.I would like to convert the old original alternator that was on the 6 cylinder and convert it to a v8 alternator(if there is such a thing)and bypass the old voltage regulator.I will be using the existing wiring.I know that todays alternators have the regulator built in.Can someone point in the right direction with what I need such as alternator part #,or conversion kit that will help.I do have a alternator that has a different plug connection from the original 6 cylinder and would like to use it if possible.thanks for your help.Joe.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Joe67 said:
I need some help in regards with my alternator and how to wire it up.I would like to convert the old original alternator that was on the 6 cylinder and convert it to a v8 alternator(if there is such a thing)and bypass the old voltage regulator.I will be using the existing wiring.I know that todays alternators have the regulator built in.Can someone point in the right direction with what I need such as alternator part #,or conversion kit that will help.I do have a alternator that has a different plug connection from the original 6 cylinder and would like to use it if possible.thanks for your help.Joe.
Here you go:
http://www.oldengine.org/unfaq/10si.htm

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
superpro787 said:
What year Alternator should I buy to get a int-reg alternator?
Almost anything from 73-86 will work, but to be safe ask for a alternator for a 73 Nova with a 350. I just re-installed my 71 six-cylinder into a 73 that used to have a V8 so I had to get the internally regulated altrnator so wires would hook up. No problems, I also used the alternator that came on my six-cylinder with my new 350 in my 71, and no problems there. I just left the external voltage regulator and everything alone. I did have to lengthen the alternator wire but that was it.

·
3,870 Posts
I would recommend an alternator from an '84 Camaro. It is rated at 94 amps and it comes set up for a V-belt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts