·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
- 1973 2-door Nova
- battery in the trunk with new 0/2 gauge wires
- ford starter solenoid
- 110a or 120a 3-wire alternator

With the engine running my battery is getting 10-11volts. The alternator is producing 14v. The wiring is old so I’m thinking that's the problem. Is there any problem with using 4ft of 0/2 gauge wire to connect the stud on the atlernator to the terminal on starter solenoid where the positive battery cable is?

I read that I should use a 175amp megafuse or inline fuse in-between the alternator and battery. Is that true? If so where should the fuse go? In the trunk near the battery or the engine bay near the solenoid.

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
If you have a relay in series with your battery cable to the starter, adding another wire to the starter won't help with charging the battery. Do you have any switches in the circuit, or is the battery in the trunk with just one large cable going to the relay and then to the starter?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Battery (trunk) >>> 0/2 Gauge Wire >>> Starter Solenoid Positive Terminal >>> 10 gauge wire (with a small black cylinder in it...inline fuse maybe?) >>> Alternator Terminal.

There are no fuses or relays in between the battery and ford solenoid.

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
Battery (trunk) >>> 0/2 Gauge Wire >>> Starter Solenoid Positive Terminal >>> 10 gauge wire (with a small black cylinder in it...inline fuse maybe?) >>> Alternator Terminal.

There are no fuses or relays in between the battery and ford solenoid.
The Ford 'solenoid' is a relay - a device used to switch large amounts of current using a smaller current to activate the coil. Solenoid is the term used to define the way the coil is wound.

Where in the circuit is the Ford part, and what current is it switching?

If your battery is connected directly to the starter by a large cable, you can use the starter terminal as the electrical equivalent of a battery connection. From your main power distribution terminal ( in GM's case the horn relay ) run a 10 gauge wire to a 14 gauge fusible link and then to the battery cable. This will emulate the stock charging configuration.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The Ford 'solenoid' is a relay - a device used to switch large amounts of current using a smaller current to activate the coil. Solenoid is the term used to define the way the coil is wound.

Where in the circuit is the Ford part, and what current is it switching?

If your battery is connected directly to the starter by a large cable, you can use the starter terminal as the electrical equivalent of a battery connection. From your main power distribution terminal ( in GM's case the horn relay ) run a 10 gauge wire to a 14 gauge fusible link and then to the battery cable. This will emulate the stock charging configuration.
The ford solenoid is on the passenger side of the firewall wired in-between the positive battery terminal and starter. Shown in the picture below. The key ignition wire engages power to the solenoid. (I think that's what you're asking)

The red wire in the picture is coming from the battery in the trunk and the black wire is going to the starter.

Is it safe to use 2 gauge wire from the alternator the solenoid is I put a 175amp megafuse in between? Is the fuse necessary in between the alt and solenoid?

Also, take a moment to look at how bad the solenoid looks mounted to the firewall. I need to hide that...

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
I would just get rid of the Ford part altogether and run the battery wire directly to the starter. You can use a regular Bosch relay to switch the current to the starter solenoid like this:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would just get rid of the Ford part altogether and run the battery wire directly to the starter. You can use a regular Bosch relay to switch the current to the starter solenoid like this:

The car wont start when it's hot without the ford solenoid. Headers heat up the starter and the starter just clicks.

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
The car wont start when it's hot without the ford solenoid. Headers heat up the starter and the starter just clicks.
It will start just fine with a Bosch relay. It serves the same purpose as the Ford relay, except is switches much less current and doesn't put another set of contacts in series with the starter solenoid contacts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts