Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 70 2 door nova. Has a new 350 in it. Eddy performer rpm heads. Stock brackets for alternator. Stock replacement alternator. Want a higher output one. Which case style do i need for a replacement, and do i need to buy anything besides the alternator (wiring kit, anything?)?

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
The CS130 type alternators (factory high output alternators) and the old style 10SI type that has been rebuilt to support higher amperage can both be used with existing factory mounts as long as the mounting ears are at 6 and 12 o'clock.

The only thing you'll need for a CS130 conversion is an adapter to convert from the old 10SI plug to the CS130 style plug. Any auto store should sell the pigtails for the correct plug, and then you can cut and splice the wires yourself if you don't want a conversion plug.

When my current rebuilt for 100amp 10SI files, I'll replace it gladly with a CS130. :yes:

I can never remember when Novas switched to internally regulated alternators, but you may have to worry about that also. Rewiring, or buying an adapter quickly fixes that, if 70 wasn't internally regulated.

**Edit, I almost forgot. The CS130 alts you get as replacement units from the auto parts store may have serpentine pulleys on them, so you might need to swap out the pulley for a v-groove one. Aftermarket units are available with that already done.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts