Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Is there any way to tell if the alternator and starter are original to the car? I have a 63 that has 63,000 original miles so there is a good chance these parts were never replaced. I am doing a rebuild and picked up new ones to put in but am hesitant to get rid of the old just yet, considering having them rebuild and putting them back on sometime in the future, that is if it is worth it.

Here are a few pics of my project:)

·
Super Moderator
'67 4 door, 65 wagon. WISCONSIN
6,875 Posts
Nice 4 door. I love the look of a good, orange straight six (did the same thing to mine)

Unfortunately, I don't think having the original distributor or alternator will make much of a difference when, like me, you have a four door. Ours are considered the red-headed stepchild's, red-headed stepchild.

That being said, there probably are codes on both that show a date of manufacture and that's probably as close as you'll ever get to figuring if they're original or not. Maybe someone else more in the know can chime in on that.

Again, nice work on the motor.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Stuart,

Thanks for the advice:) I know moor doors are not terribly desirable but I am not planning on selling it---ever! I love my moor door, and I love all of her original bits:) Lucille is not too bad either, for a redhead that is:D

Cheers!

·
Registered
421 Posts
I know that the Generator has a Delco metal tag if it is original and that there is a date code on the tag. A lot of these tags are missing because of the rebuilds but if you have one check Novaresource.com. I remember looking up numbers on my moredoor generator but didn't save the web page.
Starters I haven't tried to date yet but will before I'm done. Dan

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I pulled some numbers off of the parts, both are delco-remy, but no metal tags to be found.

Here is what I could find...

Alt... 2G13 1100630

starter... 1107260 2J7

I'll do a bit of digging to see if I come up with anything. If anyone has a good site to go to or other info give a shout.

Cheerio!
Chris

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
1962 would have a generator and they had the metal tag attached to the case. In 63 they started using alternators and those numbers are stamped into the case. If you look around this site you will probably find a thread on numbers that may help you with the date-codes.

·
Premium Member
3,165 Posts
I pulled some numbers off of the parts, both are delco-remy, but no metal tags to be found.

Here is what I could find...

Alt... 2G13 1100630

starter... 1107260 2J7

I'll do a bit of digging to see if I come up with anything. If anyone has a good site to go to or other info give a shout.

Cheerio!
Chris
I am guessing that it's 2 for 62, G for 7th month, July (A B C D E F G) and 13 for the 13th of July.

So, likely 2 for 62, J for Sept (they don't usually use I because it can be mistaken as a "1") and 7 for Sept 7th.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks so much for the info!

If they both date to 62 it is probably a pretty sound guess that they are indeed original:) I had a feeling they were, honestly there was just not much that had been done to the car when I bought it. Still had an original whitewall spare in the trunk even. I'll definitely keep the parts and at a future date I'll get them back on her, the alternator and starter- not the spare:D

Cheers all and thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Verna, Always good to see another moredoor!:yes:
Here are some specs on the 62 Generator.

Standard Generator
Circuit Type "A"
Output - 30A @ 14V
Gen RPM - 2240
Eng RPM - 1500
Field Current - 1.69 - 1.79A @ 12V 80°F

Optional Generator
Circuit Type "A"
Output - 35A @ 14V
Gen RPM - 2510
Eng RPM - 1500
Field Current - 1.69 - 1.79 @ 12v 80°F

The numbers on the left side of the aluminum tag is the part # and the numbers and letters on the right side is the serial number or the date code.
The first number in the date code is for the year however it does not designate what decade. For example a first number 2 would be 1962 1972 1982. The second is usually a letter which shows the month of production, and the third number would be the day.

Hope this helps.
Dan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.