Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I have a TCI front clip with manual steering on my '63. I was going to go with the Ididit column but was wondering what other steering columns will work. I read another thread a member used one from a 94 Fiero, another member suggested any 80's tilt column from a chevy.

So if you have an aftermarket front clip and have successfully used a column from a different car can you chime in?? Can you include year, make, model, and any extra mods or parts used? Oh yeah...pictures would be good too! I don't want to drop $300+ on a aftermarket column if I can find one at the junkyard and spruce it up.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
You can use your stock column with a column saver kit- CPP has them.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You can use your stock column with a column saver kit- CPP has them
I thought about that since I have the stock column. However, my column needs a new turn signal swith, cancelling cam and all the other junk inside it. Once I buy all that I am still spending some nice $$$. And I don't have the inner shaft.

Plus, I am 6'5" so a tilt column would be nice.

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
I think CPP has their own line of universal fit "budget" columns. I would give them a call to price out what their column costs (call Jeff and see if you can get a Socal Novas discount). I dont know if they have a column in the correct length but it cant hurt to ask!

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I talked to Novafan already but thought I would share in case someone else could use the info re: the fiero column. I have a 62 with mustang II front.

I went junk yard looking, money for an after market column wasnt in the budget. So I saw a very short column in a HUGE stack of mostly large columns. The 62 needs a very short one unless you are willing to shorten the tube. The fiero tube ended right about 1" past the firewall, perfect. I did have to trim the shaft alil bit but no problems. And its a common D type shaft so Borgeson had all the couplers needed.

So the pluses with the fiero column. Its short, 30 something inches. Modern, has tilt, turn, wiper levers, locking turn when ignition is locked, and best of all, for me, it plugged right into my GM painless wiring harness. That was just dumb luck, I had the harness already and bought it with GM plugs. So it plugged right in and all the functions are routed to the correct wires. So I get one break out of ten mis-steps :)

All in all its a good match for the 62. JR

Oh yeah, most of the columns I saw were column shift, so maybe thats why they were soo long... Big sedans..

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Fieros were sold from 1984 to 1988:yes:
Hahaha.. YUP, yer totally right!! I didnt even know, seemed like a life time ago. I was even thinking about it as I said 94. I was building the car in 95-96, did I really have a new column??? Sorry for the mis-information, trying to work off memory. Some of my memory works, most doesnt. It is a fiero though LOL JR

So I dug up an old photograph, pre digital day just to show I am sorta legit. Sorry guys for the year screw up..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts