Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Awhile back I replaced My Hei in my 64 post car with a 350 a little whille back
I replaced it with a cheap one that looks like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SBC-...0QQihZ002QQcategoryZ33690QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

At first it worked great and there was a noticeable difference of improvement over my old HEI. So the car sits in the garage most of the time as I go to school away from home. so I let worm up last thursday night and after 10 to 15 minutes in the driveway it all of the sudden died. No weird noises...It just died as if it shut off normally. As it turns out I have power to the distrubutor from the hot wire but no spark.

I have two questions...

Seeing how this is a almost new distributor Im not shure what to do... What things do I look for when I try to figure out whats wrong with it?

And could part of the problem that its a cheap distributor?

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Greetings,

I would lean toward the control module being bad, or a bad coil. A new coil will be cheaper than the control module, so I'd start there. If neither one of those ideas work, then try cap and rotor and after that if you're still having problems, get a new distributor!

Jason

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Control Mod, almost bet that is it.
Most times GM's will run fine then you shut off the car and then try to start right back up and nothing. Now it could be the coil, but most likley Control mod.

Just a tip, Autozone has a machine that checks Control Modules, IT DOES NOT WORK for crap. Not only did I try to have the machine check a CM from my old Cavalier, which I figured was bad it tested fine. So I replaced everything else including the computer, NOTHING, so I said give me a CM and it fired right up. Well, just last week, I have a 92 Acura that just died on me going down the road, guess what, that machine said it was fine, so I bought it anyway, and guess what, fired right up, so don't trust what that machine tells you if you go that road.
As for the coil, they can check primary/secondary feeds. If it reads low, ask them to test one of their new ones, compare the reads and there you go
Good luck

I

·
0 Posts
Let me guess, supposedly made in New Zealand or Australia, Pro-Comp...Chinese junk flooding the market to try to put reputable ignition manufatureres out or business. One of the vendors at the swap meet I vend at every month does starters and alternators. He is a Pro-Comp dealer, right up until he gets rid of this last three of these HEI's. He has sold 5 so far, all were returned defective, wouldn't make spark, or locked the upper bushing up from no lube. He can't wait to become a former Pro-Comp dealer. His were for sale for $30.00 each last meet. No takers.

To fix it, throw it in the trash. Users in Australia and New Zealand report having to suffer through 3 to 4 "replacements" before Pro-Comp actually gives them a refund.

Alternative for those who like torture in ignition systems, REPLACE ALL THE JUNKER CHINESE ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS WITH NAPA PARTS FOR AN EARLY 1975 THRU 1981 CHEVROLET HEI AND MOVE AHEAD. Also, pull the shaft assembly out, the pickup, felt and plastic shield out, and put silicone wheel bearing grease in the upper bushing area, that Pro-Comp didn't put in, before the upper bushing locks up.

I get a minimum of 5 of these a week to go over, with each comes a very unhappy buyer, and I have been approached to be a Pro-Comp Electronics dealer, by Pro-Comp's owner, I IMMEDIATELY DECLINED. The reason you see these things going for nothing is, they are worth nothing, and there are dealers EVERYWHERE. You want to be a dealer, call them and you will be a dealer before you stop talking the first sentance. Cost to your door for the dist, shipping and import fees included, someplace between $26.00 and $28.80 per unit, to YOUR door.

Why do people buy this junk when there are real HEI's out there? Pro-Form is so much better, actually works the way it should, and if you see any similarity in the names, as in PRO, it isn't coincidental, the owner of Pro-Comp made it that way.

Mallory is another large cap HEI to avoid, same problems, possibly because of the same electronics as the Pro-Comp uses.

Sorry to be negative on these things, but...just call this a public service message.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice guys,

I was starting to think along the lines of what Ignition Man is saying... It was a cheap distributor and you get what you pay for.

I am considering going with accel... any other Recomendations? All I really want is a relliable distributor that won't do this to me again.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
Im running the Accel HEI dist and I just pulled out my 283 and replaced it with a 350 and when I went to start the new motor up I wasent getting any spark. I had the same problem, I was getting power to the dist but no spark to the plugs. I live 30 miles from the nearest auto parts store so I went and got a new ignition module and a coil for about 50 bucks, put them both in and it fired right up. I guess when I pulled the dist from the 283 it got knocked around and messed up something. Good luck :beer:

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
nova64000 said:

I was starting to think along the lines of what Ignition Man is saying... It was a cheap distributor and you get what you pay for.

I am considering going with accel... any other Recomendations? All I really want is a relliable distributor that won't do this to me again.
MSD!;) That's all I can say.

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
nova64000 said:

Greetings,

A no-brainer here...Get the MSD HEI distributor. You don't need the fancy Pro-Mod version, just their regular distributor is just fine. Yes it's more money, but it's reliable and well built. Well worth the money. In fact, it makes a great building block for other MSD stuff like the ignition box, wires and sure.

Jason

I

·
0 Posts
You can do the same with a PRO-FORM, please remember that name, NOT PRO COMP. There are a few no brand name, almost give away priced HEI's available in the market place, and those are made in the same factory (the bad one) as the Pro-Comp, useless stuff.

The PRO-FORM is made in the same factory (the good one) as the ZZ series and crate dists for both Delco and Delphi. Pro-Form makes the Delco stuff, not the other way around. They have the same centers and weights as the Delco dists do, and they work well.

BTW, any and all coil in cap HEIs, no matter the coil, may, repeat, may make what the hype ads say they make as far as output when they are DEAD COLD, but when they reach their ops temps, the volts go right down to real world specs, stock coils, 16,000 to 18,000 volts, hi-po coils, 20,000 to 22,000 volts MAX.

When a remote oil filled coil is utilized on a coil in cap HEI, trhe output goes to the real world area of 32,000 to 34,000 volts, becxause the coil can cool itself and isn't held under a cover and not vented.

MSD makes some great stuff, but I recommend the Pro-Form HEI for the useage. For what the MSD low cost HEI costs, you can do virtually the same for less with the Pro-Form HEI.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ordered the MSD Street fire ignition today from JEGS. I considered the Pro-Forum but it was the same price for a complete distributor...$149. I probably should get a set of MSD wires to compement it.

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
nova64000 said:
I ordered the MSD Street fire ignition today from JEGS. I considered the Pro-Forum but it was the same price for a complete distributor...$149. I probably should get a set of MSD wires to compement it.
Greetings,

I have the MSD 8.5 Super Conductors on mine...Very nice and good quality. I'd recommend them.

Jason

1 - 13 of 13 Posts