Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys my campbell hausfeld compressor burned out.it was 15 years old R.I.P. :(

well now i am looking for a new one. i ran across the stand up dewalt 15 gallon 200psi model.its not cheap but every dewalt product i have owned has gave me great results.

i am looking for a new compressor that i can run da sander air hammer,paint gun,all the air tools i need with out having to wait for ever for it to recharge.

i also have a $400 dollar budget.so a monster 100 gallon air compressor is out of the question.
i dont mind waiting for it to catch up but i dont want it to take for ever.

dewalt will
200 PSI max pressure allows for longer air tool run time
5.4 SCFM @ 90 PSI allows for quick compressor recovery time
78 dBA (tested per ISO3744) operational noise level for a quieter work environment
Efficient high pressure technology allows for longer pump and motor life
Oil free, maintenance free pump, for convenient use

but i am open to any sugestions.i am getting ready to start my body work on my car so i will be needing to buy this by next month so if any of you guys can help me out with your suggestions that would be great.:D

·
Registered
217 Posts
Have you considered buying a new motor for your current unit?

a 15 gallon tank is way too small for a sander. You can have all the pressure you want, without a large volume of air available, your continuous power will be gay. I've been using a 6HP 60Gal Crapsman for the past 15 years with zero complications. Just be sure to run a dedicated 220V/20A line for it.

hey guys my campbell hausfeld compressor burned out.it was 15 years old R.I.P. :(

well now i am looking for a new one. i ran across the stand up dewalt 15 gallon 200psi model.its not cheap but every dewalt product i have owned has gave me great results.

i am looking for a new compressor that i can run da sander air hammer,paint gun,all the air tools i need with out having to wait for ever for it to recharge.

i also have a $400 dollar budget.so a monster 100 gallon air compressor is out of the question.
i dont mind waiting for it to catch up but i dont want it to take for ever.

dewalt will
200 PSI max pressure allows for longer air tool run time
5.4 SCFM @ 90 PSI allows for quick compressor recovery time
78 dBA (tested per ISO3744) operational noise level for a quieter work environment
Efficient high pressure technology allows for longer pump and motor life
Oil free, maintenance free pump, for convenient use

but i am open to any sugestions.i am getting ready to start my body work on my car so i will be needing to buy this by next month so if any of you guys can help me out with your suggestions that would be great.:D

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
You can have all the pressure you want, without a large volume of air available, your continuous power will be gay.

Explain that one please? I would love to know the definition of "gay" continuous power.

But really, just get a 27+ gallon tank with a good 220v motor. I just hooked mine up a few weeks ago, basic horizontal Campbell Housfield one and it's awesome. I worked at the hardware store at the time I purchased it, so I got a decent deal...

My second choice was the 60 gallon one, but there was nowhere to put it.

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Is that the verticle one they have?
Yes, it is the 60 gallon vertical unit. 11.4CFM at 90 PSI, 155 PSI max. I love it! It keeps up with any air tool I own. Its funny, I went to Lowes to buy the unit, they have them bolted down to pallets sitting on their sales floor. I ask the salesmen about the unit. He says "thats our display model, I can't sell you that one" It was the only unit they had in the store that day. Now I know these are not display units as I see them come and go all the time. So I ask the salesman if he can ask the manager if they can sell me the unit, thinking that the salesman just does not know they sell these palleted units. He walks away for a short time and then comes back and says "the manager says you can buy the floor unit for $50.00 off" So it only cost me $350.00:D
Ron

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm sorry if I offended you..."gay" meaning weak.
Explain that one please? I would love to know the definition of "gay" continuous power.

But really, just get a 27+ gallon tank with a good 220v motor. I just hooked mine up a few weeks ago, basic horizontal Campbell Housfield one and it's awesome. I worked at the hardware store at the time I purchased it, so I got a decent deal...

My second choice was the 60 gallon one, but there was nowhere to put it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i will go to lowes on sunday morning to check it out to see if they have that deal here in vegas.
i will let you know.:yes:

thanks for the warning on the dewalt unit not having enough air space for what i need.

my old compressor is just too old to repair.its not worth the repairs.it was not a really good unit to start with.but it gave me 15 years of good service and let me paint 3 cars.

if any one still knows of any other deals let me know

·
Registered
996 Posts
i have a 15gallon craftsman one i got on a crazy sale at sears about 12 years ago. every time i use a tool like a sander or paint gun i wish i had a bigger tank.
the pump keeps up with my tools, but just barely.
as soon as i get a chance i'm gonna upgrade to a bigger unit.

you might want to take a look in the phone book or online to see if there is a store in vegas that sells only air compressors. i think i remember one off of valley view south of tropicana.
i know there are a few in san diego and they have great prices on compressors.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
They make a rotary one now " wish I could remember the name". I saw one at a trade show you could barely hear it run. And it would do 150psi all day long and not get hot. Man I wish I could remember the name.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Get the biggest baddest moma you can afford. Break the bank a couple of bills, and go overbudget. You'll never regret it.

Buy too small a compressor, and you'll regret it every time you use it.

·
Premium Member
7,437 Posts
This is very true...^^^^:yes:
I had a 33 gal Craftsman which was fine for ratchets., die grinders., etc., but needed consistant pressure for impacts., DA's and the like.... Went to an 80 gallon., and I always have enough pressure for anything...A good quality moisture trap is also a must... :yes:

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Yes, it is the 60 gallon vertical unit. 11.4CFM at 90 PSI, 155 PSI max. I love it! It keeps up with any air tool I own. Its funny, I went to Lowes to buy the unit, they have them bolted down to pallets sitting on their sales floor. I ask the salesmen about the unit. He says "thats our display model, I can't sell you that one" It was the only unit they had in the store that day. Now I know these are not display units as I see them come and go all the time. So I ask the salesman if he can ask the manager if they can sell me the unit, thinking that the salesman just does not know they sell these palleted units. He walks away for a short time and then comes back and says "the manager says you can buy the floor unit for $50.00 off" So it only cost me $350.00:D
Ron
Love that Lowes!!!!!

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
I'm with the other guys get at least a 60 gallon. mine quit and I bought a Husky upright just to get by until I can afford another big one, plus I needed a portable unit to do some wood work inside the house. Mine is 135 max psi and has a 30 gl tank, not big enough for a DA does ok for light painting. Could paint a car with it but it would be slow. My personal opinon I wouldn't have a maintence free unit. i like to be able to chage the oil plus there rebuildable and the motor isn't built into the compressor. The maintence free units are cheap made i think. Also a two stage compresor will build air faster. A good air compressor is a good investment I couldn't function with out one.:yes:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
lowes

ok i went this morning to lowes and they dont have any kobalt ones.:(
they have campbell 60 gallon ones for $432 thats a great price for a 60 gal.
then the 30 gallon on is $423.does someone need to save $9 that bad?:confused:

i talked to the guy in the tool section they have 10 in stock but he told me to check back that they will have a sale soon.

so in the mean time i will go ahead and install a 220 plug in my garage.

BLACK is ground right?:wow::skull:

just playing.i do know my stuff around the electrical stuff.i just find it funny that on a car black is ground and its hot on the home and commercial buildings.

i will keep my eyes open on the sales and see if i can find a better deal.i doubt i will.

hey ron thanks for the great tip about lowes:clap:

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Green is usually ground on 220v. Its not like a normal 110v setup as your white and black legs will both be hot. I just setup my 220v welder this way. Depends if its 4 or 3 wire setup really. Then white will be neutral on a 4 wire. Yeah you dont want to mess this up.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
honestly if i were you i would look for a compressor with an oiled pump (ie quincy) i just sold two days ago an 1800.00 dollar speedaire with triple cylinders for 300.00 bucks (i know you hate to hear that probably) but really if it were me i would look on craigslist for a commercial type compressor (quincy, speedaire etc) you can usually get a lot of compressor used - and if you buy a good one chances are it will last a lifetime. I just had my quincy rebuilt and it was originally built in 1941 (really) and it is one bad mutha

oh and while you are at it, if you are using firefox - go get the craigslist toolbar add-on (it's free) allows you to search nationwide for a compressor (or nova parts) ... damn i just let the secret outta the bag ...hahahaha

just my 2cents

·
Registered
996 Posts
honestly if i were you i would look for a compressor with an oiled pump (ie quincy) i just sold two days ago an 1800.00 dollar speedaire with triple cylinders for 300.00 bucks (i know you hate to hear that probably) but really if it were me i would look on craigslist for a commercial type compressor (quincy, speedaire etc) you can usually get a lot of compressor used - and if you buy a good one chances are it will last a lifetime. I just had my quincy rebuilt and it was originally built in 1941 (really) and it is one bad mutha

oh and while you are at it, if you are using firefox - go get the craigslist toolbar add-on (it's free) allows you to search nationwide for a compressor (or nova parts) ... damn i just let the secret outta the bag ...hahahaha
just my 2cents
searchtempest.com (craigshelper) is free and i use it all the time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts