Chevy Nova Forum banner

161 - 180 of 252 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Headers showed up!

After over six weeks of waiting I finally got my hedman hedders.I was sure they weren,t going to fit on drivers side,but I was wrong.They fit great ! I thought the z bar was going to be a terrible problem getting in ,but to my surprise less than a couple of minutes. While driving it [headers open] to get the street hookups welded I totally scared the **** out of two women walking down the sidewalk. I loved it!

·
Registered
819 Posts
headers.

Glad you had no problem. I had a hard time with getting the Z-bar back in the bracket under the steering linkage. If you did it by yourself, I don't know how. I had to have two sets of hands to put both in at the same time. Good job and enjoy.

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
1st gen headers

I can get a set of JR Headers for the Wagon that are supposed to be full length, 1 5/8 primary and 3" collectors delivery for about $150. they are painted. The Model number is #7208, but I cannot find any additional information out about them. Are these still in production? Is Jr still in business?

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
I found a site in Google where they said they had headers fabbed up for a Pontiac at JR Headers in Ferndale, MI. Maybe try some online yellow pages?

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
I found the link in best of tech. the guy on e-bay was saying the Jr headers sell for over $200. J&W Nova has them for $119. Glad I double checked.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
What kind of headers were you running before dan? How's ohio treating you? Ready to move back to Stiller country soon?

Kev

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
No, I won't be moving back anytime soon. I have to work at least 10 more years so I'd just prefer to not start over at this point.

Car has been running OK 'cept for the heat. Been to the track a fair amount but not the last 2 weeks. I made it to the quarter finals in early June, but nothing to speak of since. I win some I lose most.

Running mostly 13'1s in the heat. Haven't done anything but adjust the valves and change the oil in at least 2 years. 60' times have been off since the heat cranked up. Ran a 12.98 on a 2.02 60 foot time a couple weeks back.

Finally found someone to look at the trans but I may just wait until the end of the season now.

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
No, I won't be moving back anytime soon. I have to work at least 10 more years so I'd just prefer to not start over at this point.

Car has been running OK 'cept for the heat. Been to the track a fair amount but not the last 2 weeks. I made it to the quarter finals in early June, but nothing to speak of since. I win some I lose most.

Running mostly 13'1s in the heat. Haven't done anything but adjust the valves and change the oil in at least 2 years. 60' times have been off since the heat cranked up. Ran a 12.98 on a 2.02 60 foot time a couple weeks back, though.

Oddly, the wagon still seems to attract some interest.

Finally found someone to look at the trans but I may just wait until the end of the season now.

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
Phil,
Thanks for posting those photos. They gave me a good idea of what to expect. If I understood correctly, you had to make essentially the same modification on both sides, making a contour on the brace. You chose to modify the brace rather than the headers. Did you have to make any other changes? After the mod, will they install with the engine in the car?
Final question, would you use them again if you were doing it over?

·
Registered
861 Posts
Dan, refer to the pics below and as you can see I made a different mod on the passenger side. On the drivers I only had to bend(done carefully with a ball peen) the edge over to clear the header. On the passenger side I trimed the chasis. I also routed the brakeline from the rear bakes up behind the mount on the firewall. These headers give good clearance from the stock starter. The Hookers donot and have to use a small oil filter. From the pics you can notice the clearances from the chasis, belhousing and engine.
I prefered not to cut and modify the headers. The JR headers have since been tweeked by the factory were they will fit without cutting the passenger side. I recieved some feed back on this when others bought the later manf JR headers. They had to do little to no mods.
The headers can be installed after the engine is installed, BUT you will have to either raise one side of the engine and or put the car up high on jack stands.
I made several passes in and out of the engine bay with the engine and headers mapping out any mods that needed to be done before the final install. Any triming was done methodically taking only what was needed. After all fit-up and triming was completed and the headers mounted on engine in the car, I then removed the headers and had them coated.
Yes, I would use them again. I have seen the Sanderson headers installed and they seem to be a selection that I would prefer also, but the primaries are short. Good for the street and show
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/plsmswain/album?.dir=84ab&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/plsmswain/my_photos

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I was looking at the fit of 1st/2nd gen headers when at the Nova nats. There were cars there with Sanderson, Hedman, JR, Hooker, and Dougs headers. IMO, the dougs looked to have the nicest fit, and they also looked to be the best quality.... expensive though!

JRs had a thin flange, and it seems a lot of guys crushed the tube on the pass side rather than trim as Phil did. Every car with JR headers looked like it had a clearance problem where Phil notched his brace on the pass side. Seemed like everyone had to address it one way or another.

Hedmans provided a decent fit, but you know all about those already...

Sandersons did not really impress me. Looked like they left little room to get at plugs, and I think it would be tough to get a set of headpipes made.

Hookers (1-5/8) looked like a very nice fit, BUT it looks like they'd leave little room for an oil filter with a non-nova block. The car I saw with hookers had a Nova block, and they fit great. I think that you'd definitely need the PF454 (old PF25) filter with a 350.

Anyway... these are just my observations. I have an OLD set of hedmans on my car now, and was looking at other headers to get a good idea of what is out there when I replace mine.

Honestly, (taking performance out of the picture) Hedman elites seem like the best value @ ~$260 coated, and they have a pretty decent fit. If I wanted the best fit, I'd be looking at Dougs.

If you need a 4-tube 1.625" header, Hookers also seem great with a Nova block, but may block filter access on a non-nova block. JRs were OK, but I think you WILL need firewall trimming, and the flanges seem very thin. Considering Price and fit, I'd get JR headers before Hookers!

Personally, I don't think I'd consider Sandersons.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Good observation John. We ran inputs from most here on the site a few years ago and basically came up with what you observed. However, the JR's are 1- 5/8" headers and I have had no problem with the flange thickness issue. I believe Mike G who runs his duece in off road racing has had no problems with the flange in which I'm aware of. The response I had in couple of years ago was JR had change the header design and they fit better. The Hooker chasis headers needed the smaller oil filter. and other headers...etc.
I opted for the 1 5/8" primaries and considered the lower cost and wha la did what I thought would be the better performance for the buck. Others may disagree. I have seen with "any" header brand that often the same design header fit a bit differently from one duece to another. As politicians like to say, "the fact of the matter is" you probably can expect to tweek most any header installation. Preliminary fit-up is a good idea for any installation and the end results should pay off if time is taken to find what needs to done before installing the headers. Some just bang the header flat rather than go to the extent of making clearance for the header...Phil

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
DAN: Did you ever get your JR headers? Just wondering if the fit issues have been resolved on the newer production lots (Phil heard that they may fit better now).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Fastburn Headers For 67 ???? Help!

I'm putting a GM zz383 with Fastburn (Vortec style -D Port ) heads in my 67 coupe. Does anyone make headers for this application? I've contacted / looked thru several header manufacturers / catalogs, and all I keep hearing is NO , NO ! :mad: HELP !!!!!!! Suggestions???????
PLEASE!!!!!

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
We used the J&W Nova header primaries on some D-port AFR heads and they worked just fine.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
A member here with a white-on-red '66 had dougs 367y headers on his fast burn heads. I saw the car at the nnn nats, and NJ mini-nats, and they were a perfect fit.

·
Registered
548 Posts
i have a 383/425 crate motor i purchased from chevy and installed hooker headers.i have the fasturn hads on that motor.

161 - 180 of 252 Posts