Chevy Nova Forum banner

241 - 252 of 252 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Any recommendations for 64 Nova with CPP front end (upper and lower control arms, sway bars, etc. and dropped 2" via CPP drop spindles?

Motor is a 327 that will have Vortec heads....

I need something that won't hang down too low given the already low ride height.

·
Registered
6 Posts
hey guys I need some help. I have a 67 with a 350 and the th350. i'm running a 168 tooth flexplate and a hitiachi style mini high torque. I bought the hedman elite 68167 headers. My starter is no where near fitting. Is anyone else running this combination or am I going to have to go to a 153 tooth flex plate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hooker super comp headers

I just put hooker super comps in my 67 and a little tight but the main issue is clutch linkage. I have not figured out what to do with hooking up the z bar yet, and I do have the extra mounting bracket. If any one can help would be appreciatied.

·
Registered
5 Posts
which header part number you use for the under car super comp I have come up with hooker part #2243 and fender wellis #2214, 2243 list for 419.00 I am looking for a set of under car headers for 66 with small block with 4 speed with lakewood bellhousing and scatter shield. I have heard of lemmons headers and are custom headers and are expensive. do the sanderson headers give the flow and performance of full length headers, thats the question???
I have the hooker 2122-1 and they fit good, but no clearance for r&R of oil filter. Have to loosen header in order to change filter. Also had to run a mini starter for clearance issues. Also I decided to go with hydraulic clutch because Z bar was really tight.

·
Registered
34 Posts
After reading so many pages....I think I am in header overload. :turn::turn::turn::confused::confused::confused:

We have a SBC going in my wife's 63 SS(floor shift auto) and it is low, so maybe some mid length or under chassis that are tucked to the body????. I have looked and tried to find pics of the Dougs, hedman 63160's, and J&W headers INSTALLED in a 1st gen, but to no avail.

Am I just crazy about the level of confusion of this topic? I think we should compile a list of part numbers of chassis exit and list of part numbers for fenderwell exit for all small blocks?

Everyone is talking about the J&W headers, but have yet to see them installed....ever.

If I missed some pics or info...I am real sorry, maybe my eyes are crossed from reading so much......

·
Registered
7 Posts
Header Mania

Talk about header overload. This is just a suggestion but why doesn't someone take all this information and make a chart so all this information can be easier to use. People with TCI, CBR etc. front ends could be their own section. Stock front ends could be another. I would try and do this myself but I'm not even sure what some of the big words are. lol Better yet take all the threads about whch header fits what and combine all this info. Myself I currently run fender exit headers but not by choice. It's just what came on the car when we bought the car. My only upgrades that I'd like to do with the car is power steering, disk brakes and chassis headers. But like everyone viewing this thread I like the best fitting header for the best price without the problems with fit i.e. oil filters, starter and which automatic tranny I plan to run. Thanks for letting me put my two cents in on this post. Max

·
Registered
57 Posts
Here you go. I made a table of 1st gen compatible small block headers. It's not complete yet, but it's a good start:

http://www.nocturnaloner.net/Nova/earlynovaheaders.htm

PM me with changes or updates. I'll add big block and non-stock clip info later.

-edit-
As of today, 2/25/06, I have every first gen header I could find. There are about 20 different designs in total. I now have a table for big block headers, as well as those that are known to work with TCI/Heidts front clips. I also have a table for column shift linkage kits. Once again, any additional info or pictures of installed headers are greatly appreciated.

You guys missed it....it's right here (from page 9). THANKS Greg_R_63! :yes:

As of now the table is a little dated but still very useful. I went with the Hooker 2243 and still had to "massage" the passenger side, and I have a mini starter with 153 tooth flexplate. Others have had luck and I can't find why they don't work for me. I have original frame mounts and stock motor mounts. The driver's side was a dream. :confused: Good luck to the rest of ya!

If you have read much of this thread, then you found you will find varying opinions on which fit and don't. you'll just have to find out yourself.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I never had any major problems removing plugs from my '64 with full headers (numerous brands). For the rear plugs you use just the plug socket with a 7/8" wrench on the end (no ratchet). The rest come out easily with a ratchet. Never dreaded changing plugs.
The headers I have are made by JR. The primary tube from the number 1 and number 2 cylinders run horizontally across the top of the other primary tubes and then drops own at the fire wall. I also have my ignition wires in looms that run over the top of primary tube. I know what you mean by using the socket and wrench but I cant get the wrench on the end of the socket.
Do you headers have the primary tube running across the top?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the hooker 2122-1 and they fit good, but no clearance for r&R of oil filter. Have to loosen header in order to change filter. Also had to run a mini starter for clearance issues. Also I decided to go with hydraulic clutch because Z bar was really tight.
I know you said the Z bar was tight but did it fit? Do you drag the car?

Can you tell all about your hydraulic clutch set up? What parts did you use how did you mount the master and the slave cylinders?

I know you are running chassis headers. Did you consider the fender well headers?

241 - 252 of 252 Posts