201 - 220 of 252 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
S&S contact?

Has anyone worked with S&S Headers? I tried calling their line but no one is picking up. Any clue if they're still in business or not?

·
Registered
93 Posts
67 chevy II BBC headers

What is the best under chassis BBC chevy II header?? I have a 67 with heidts superride, bbc and glide. Will the chassis works headers work with the heidts, just wondering cause the front clips look like the same measurements, but I dont know cause I havent measured them.. Any help would be greatly appreciated:cool:

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
When mounting the starter with my Hedman 68160s in place, I had to replace the starter I had originally purchased with a mini one with a rotatable mounting block. The full sized starter I had purchased had about 1/8" clearance. With the new one I have about 1". I put a heat blanket around it to protect it further. No problems yet.

Using a mini starter was the only way I could get a starter mounted properly without having it be dangerously close to the primary tubes.

I got mine from Summit, but I would imagine that a decent parts house would be able to get you a mini starter easily.
Mini starters on ebay for about 75.00. I paid 160.00 for mine from the engine builder and I'm pretty sure it's the same one on ebay for 75.00. for that price you can get two and have enough left over for a couple a beers

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
Hey Guys,

has anyone installed a set of these style Block huggers on a 1st Genner stock clip (P/Glide/floor shift)

i've read this thread and i don't think it's been made clear if they'll fit or not... maybe i missed it ???

·
Registered
713 Posts
After hearing that lots of people buy headers specifically made for Chevy II and have fitment issues, I decided to go the cheap route and ordered a pair of Jeg's headers for Chevy II, p/n 555-30052. The passenger side fits fine with my mini-starter, but on the driver's side I've got major interference at the steering box. How much can I ding one of the tubes before I've gone too far? I feel like I've beaten it to about 60% of it's original area, and I'm not done yet.:mad:

·
6,399 Posts
I'm on my 3rd set of headers for the 64 I'm building and it hasn't even left the garage. I have a TCI front clip and originally bought the Hedman Elites (68168). Tucked up nice but decided to put in a 421 stroker and the primaries would be small at 1 1/2". Sold them and bought TCI's headers(1 3/4") but because I've modified my A arms to drop the car lower then normal with air ride, they interfer with the ground by around 1". My crossmember it 5/8" off the ground when dropped. Sold them and bought Doug's headers(1 5/8"). They tuck up very nicely and fit the 700r transmission. I don't have the steering shaft on but didn't see an issue with any set of headers.
So there's 3 sets of headers that will work with the TCI clip.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
headers

looking for set of headers for '64 nova w/'67-327ci- 350th-floor shift. has anyone put on a set and what problems encountered. does the # of teeth on flywheel matter? summit recommended flowtech
big11110flt. not a real nova nut just yet. hopefully i'll learn a lot just from being on this site. great place to spend my idle time. hopefully i'll have this thing ready for the cruisin' season. also going to have a cpp tubular control arm kit installed along with a tune-up. all info is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
There are simply no guarantees for fitment with aftermarket headers on these cars. Dougs headers have very few complaints. The Sanderson shorties are a good bet, but in terms of performance, don't have much over manifolds. All of the less expensive full length headers are hit and miss, with 'most' people having to ding them for one reason or another. Just like wheel fitment, you are going to have to get it on your car to know for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
I've got the inexpensive Hedmans. They were about $89 for the set 7 years ago. Probably not the best for performance but hard to beat for the price. I'm sure they cost more now. By the price I'm sure you can tell they are not coated.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Read this thread, good info, but could not find an answer to the following combo....

64 Nova w/ Heidts front subframe running a BBC - besides the Chassis Works & S&S brand headers possibly working is there anything else that works?

Anyone try Chassis Work or S&S with a Heidts subframe? I called Heidts thinking they would know something but got "call Lemons" - nope to much for me.lol

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
Read this thread, good info, but could not find an answer to the following combo....

64 Nova w/ Heidts front subframe running a BBC - besides the Chassis Works & S&S brand headers possibly working is there anything else that works?

Anyone try Chassis Work or S&S with a Heidts subframe? I called Heidts thinking they would know something but got "call Lemons" - nope to much for me.lol
I did a Google search for you, and the consensus seemd to be Hooker fenderwell headers, unless you are running drop spindles. Hit these threads and start sending PMs until you get a part number. Also check the ones I linked on my headers page:

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60065

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=778704

·
Registered
432 Posts
Thanks - I have fenderwell headers now, but opted for the drop spindles. Not sure how much tire rub I will have.... still installing the Heidts subframe and planning on replacing my front tires with the smallest diameter front runners I can find.

The S&S headers are around $500 so not too bad... was hoping a set of $200 ish Hookers would fit. Looking at the S&S pic I see the headers have to hug the block a bit so something off the shelf wont work - bummer...

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
Thanks - I have fenderwell headers now, but opted for the drop spindles. Not sure how much tire rub I will have.... still installing the Heidts subframe and planning on replacing my front tires with the smallest diameter front runners I can find.

The S&S headers are around $500 so not too bad... was hoping a set of $200 ish Hookers would fit. Looking at the S&S pic I see the headers have to hug the block a bit so something off the shelf wont work - bummer...
Yep - Hooker fenderwells, S&S, Dawson, Lemons. Headers that fit without mods means money.

201 - 220 of 252 Posts