Chevy Nova Forum banner

181 - 200 of 252 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Fastburn Headers for 67 ??

Wowsa , maybe there's a lite at the end of the tunnel !

MY 67 - I have a stock front clip . What Hooker part number did you use? Do you know if these work with a stock front clip?

John65SS - Sounds like my best shot to date.

Mike Goble - I wished you lived next door! When you say " header primaries " , do you mean the flange + stubs hanging off and created the rest of your header assembly , ( including collector) ?

Thank you all for replying , looking forward to anything else you can offer.

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
Mike Goble - I wished you lived next door! When you say " header primaries " , do you mean the flange + stubs hanging off and created the rest of your header assembly , ( including collector) ?
Not just the stubs but the whole primary tube. The collectors on the 1-5/8" headers are too large. I extended the primaries about 12" and added a 2-1/4" merge collector.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Ducedad,
I am using Hooker part#2243. I choose to use their HPC coating to protect the header from heat and that part# is 2243-1.These were recommended to me by Wayne at NNN.:chev:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Fastburn Headers For 67 ???? Help!

MY67 - Your engine looks great. I'd be very happy if my ZZ looked like that. What carb/intake did you use? I'll check out the Hooker set you recommended.

Thank you guys again! This info will make my choices easier.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Be careful of the GM fastburn and Bow-tie Vortecs- they have the exhaust port flange moved out .250 in relation to other GM and aftermarket heads. This was engineered into their D-port style. But it affects header fitment quite a bit. When we ran the Bow-tie Vortec article a few month's back, that was one of the sidebar's that was unfortunately left out due to space in the article. It threw a huge wrench in our gears, and we could not get headers that fit just fine before to fit in an already tight '66 Nova engine compartment with a stock front clip with these new heads. Fastburn design has the same port configuration as Bow-Tie Vortecs. You will have these same problems regardless of what header you run with these particular heads. We tried to talk with alot of header manufacturer's last year at SEMA, explaining the problem we were having, and thay all told us it was not worth the effort to make a change for one particular style of cylinder head.:mad: So- we pie-cut our existing set to continue on with the article. I cannot imagine we were the only ones to experiance this,as not everyone is switching over to new front clips. What got me mad was nowhere in any of GM's nomenclature does it even say these heads are in any way different in external measurements to any other GM small block head. Surprise. I feel that in most other GM cars there would never even be a fitment problem, but with our little Nova's, a quarter-inch makes a BIG difference.

Dale

·
Registered
548 Posts
Ducedad,
I am using a Holley Street Advenger carb. 770CFM and a durashine Edlebrock manifold (AIRGAP).

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Someone should merge this into the big "header thread".

Dale... you still using the Hedmans with 1.5" primaries and 3" collectors on your 406?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Fastburn Headers For 67 ???? Help

A member here with a white-on-red '66 had dougs 367y headers on his fast burn heads. I saw the car at the nnn nats, and NJ mini-nats, and they were a perfect fit.
JOHN65SS - Do you remember if the white-on-red 66 that used the 367Y Doug's headers had a stock front clip?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Ducedad,
Call Hooker,you can get their # from summit.They have their tech line that will advise you on their headers. If I am not mistaken the headers I will be running will fit the stock clip. They were revamped because their were problems with headers blocking the oil filters on the eariler novas.You will need something with 1 3/4 primaries on those heads.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Dale: When you get the J&W headers, I'd LOVE to hear your opinion of overall quality, flange construction, fit, etc. Goble and Phil have posted lots of great info on these headers, but one more opinion never hurts! ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Fastburn Headers For 67 ???? Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John65ss
A member here with a white-on-red '66 had dougs 367y headers on his fast burn heads. I saw the car at the nnn nats, and NJ mini-nats, and they were a perfect fit.

JOHN65SS - Do you remember if the white-on-red 66 that used the 367Y Doug's headers had a stock front clip?

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I actually already have them. I've done some grinding and cutting to better open up the primary openings to better accommodate the D-port heads. I think they are a good header for the price. It's funny how I found out who made or who actually is behind J&W. When I talked with the director of Research and developement for Hedman, he would not tell me the name of a "little" red-headed stepchild company they owned down in Georgia that made a header that might fit. It made me mad he would not divulge them. Here I was, trying to better enlighten these guys to issues with fitment. It was members on this site who helped me connect the dots to realize who J&W was! So- I'll get cracking on these and try and have them up and on soon. We'll have a good back to back number of what bigger tubes will do on a chassis dyno and the track with the stack of timeslips and numbers I've already acquired.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John65ss

Yes. Stock clip with airbags. One of the Delaware Valley NNN guys on this board could probably get you in touch with the owner to answer all your questions.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Dale... how do they compare to the 68160 Hedmans (quality wise)? I am happy with the Hedman headers, so if they are at least as good, they are fine for me!

Did you encounter the same fit issues Phil has documented back by the firewall brace on the pass side? Thanks!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ok so i've finally read through this entire thing.

Question. I know some of the off- brand, ebay type shorty headers may or may not fit the stock clip, column shift. So has anyone had any luck with these? I really don't want to spend 225 bucks on a pair of shorties (sanderson). I've seen some on ebay/summit for 80 or so bucks. Most shorties look the same to me, with the wide Y type configuration. Maybe certain shapes/sizes will fit.

I've also seen the linkage kits you can buy to help adapt. Any feedback, pics, advice on this linkage kits?

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Nice Fit Headers

HELLO TO ALL

I AM GOING TO INSTALL A NOVA BLOCK IN MY CAR, IS THERE A COMPANY THAT MAKES FULL UNDER CHASSIS STAINLESS HEADERS WITH NO FITTING ISSUES, I DONT WANT TO HAVE RUST DOWN THE ROAD.:beer: :beer:

181 - 200 of 252 Posts