Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well........Almost.....besides a few little things that need to be done...like...Power steering pump....Alternator...Throttle linkage..Upper radiator hose .What other details must I do before I crank it over for the first time.???....Please...I want this thing to run . Any thoughts ????? This is my first build...so I'm scared to death something might be overlooked...Thanks ..And Thanks again for all the help I recieved in the last few months......Randy...

By rroxon7, shot with FinePix J10 at 2009-05-07

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
I would invest in a radiator shroud to make sure that beast stays cool, my 66 ran hot in slow traffic before I got the shroud, noproblems after, its lookin good!

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
Start it with straight water without antifreeze. Once you get to looking into the fan shroud take a look at a good cross flow aluminum radiator also.

........Good Luck:yes:
I run the same radiator in mine with a 383- I dont know how it stays cool but it does!:yes:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
One thing I would check at least twice before you turn the key is oils, water/coolant, and tranny fluid. I don't know how many times I've heard this story. I was sooo excited to start it I forgot that I hadn't put tranny fluid in or engine oil etc.

Motor looks real nice.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
You should consider converting to disc brakes up front.:yes:

·
Registered
544 Posts
Just check things twice and then recheck 3 or 4 more times. Keep an eye on that oil pressure gauge right away. You may want to get the tool on the drill to put where the distributor goes, turn it over some to get oil pressure up and THEN throw the dissy back in and start it up. But go over your wiring VERY well and then have a friend that knows a thing or two about cars or mechanics and get another oppinion. I do this a lot because no matter how good you are, when you sit there and work on a vehicle and stare at it for so long for days and hours then you tend to overlook things and get excited and jump ahead.
Make sure all your grounds are connected and clean, check for fire hazards and all fluids. Like I mentioned keep an eye on the temp gauge and most important the oil pressure gauge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts