Chevy Nova Forum banner

121 - 127 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
according to mortec yes it is a 76cc head. Also is it worth port and polishing these heads? I already know i should just get aftermarket just don't know what i want.

My current block that is supposed to go in the car is being held hostage with the heads, manifold and cam. By the Head guy. Keep getting excuse after excuse and they are paid in full a long time ago. Some of you may know this company. he was based out of Rancho Cucamonga then moved his shop to Nevada.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
The 400's were used in trucks from 1970-1980. Caprice, Impala and Monte Carlo used them 1970-1975-76.

My dad has a 400 out of a 1970 truck in his Camaro. He didn't build it and we're not sure if it's stock or rebuilt, what we do know is it's a 511 casting 4 bolt block, car has an M22 and 3.55's out back. I can take off from a stop light in 1st and let it roll about 25 mph and stomp the pedal and break the tires loose...shift to 2nd and do the same thing, all on dry pavement.

I have a 400 out of a 74 Caprice in my garage awaiting my return from Afghanistan to send it off to the machine shop. Cross your fingers it's not a cracked block.

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
The 462624 casting heads are boat anchors...period. Don't waste any money on them. They also are very crack-prone.

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Using the casting numbers on the blocks to determine if it's a 2 or 4 bolt main is useless.......thats just my 0.02 worth. The 350 block I have in my garage right now shows up on all the casting number lists as a 4 bolt main....it's not, it's a 2 bolt main. This is also not the first block I have seen that goes against the casting number lists.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Ditto on the cylinder heads. I just put a set in the scrap iron to haul off. Will be building a 509 block in the near future. Not sure what C.I. it will end of being when we are done.

·
Registered
245 Posts
i would just stud your 2 bolt block and go. the money for the 4bolt splayed caps and machine work isnt going to get you that much more strengh then a studded 2 bolt. unless the motor is going to be living at high RPM's all the extra's of doing the 4 bolt splayed isnt worth it. IMHO

What he said. The webbing gets thinner out there. If you are really stressed over it, have your machinist fit it with 1/2 studs like Reher and Morrison used to in their Modified Eliminator small blocks.

121 - 127 of 127 Posts