Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had an alignment and also changed my steering box and coupler and this has left my steering wheel completely messed up. It now sits sidways to make the car go straight. How do you 'align' it again? Do I remove the wheel and put it back on again 'straight'???

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
I plan on turning my rack from lock to lock and carefully counting how may turns, then splitting the total in half and setting that as center straight. Tehn I will mark the shaft and put the wheel on.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
I have had an alignment and also changed my steering box and coupler and this has left my steering wheel completely messed up. It now sits sidways to make the car go straight. How do you 'align' it again? Do I remove the wheel and put it back on again 'straight'???

Thanks
Do you have the same amount of revolutions to the left and right with the wheel, or did you get it out of time, should be the same amount both ways.

If so, point the car straight, remove the horn cover, and make a mark on the steering column shaft for 12 o'clock. Pull you wheel and put it back on straight.

The other way is to disconnect it from the steering box and reset it to straight.....

T,

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
Take it back to the shop and tell him to adjust the wheel,he can do this underneath the car.:yes:
Not entirely- if the pitman arm is not close to center you cannot adjust toe to make up for it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok - well, my Saturday didn't go so well. Turns out that the guy before me must have cross-threaded the nut holding the wheel on. I struggled but got it off, but now the threads are toast. I'll be buying the right tap/die set to see if I can cut new threads... ugh. Bigger frustration is now that I have the steering wheel off, there is this little 'tube' for the horn that will only fit in a certain spot on the steering wheel thus not allowing me to put it on however I want.

If that thing 'forces' the steering wheel to be in one spot, what do I do?
There is a plat under it with three screws. I removed the screws, but there is another plate that looks like a fan. Does any of that come off so I can rotate the horn thing?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
Ok - well, my Saturday didn't go so well. Turns out that the guy before me must have cross-threaded the nut holding the wheel on. I struggled but got it off, but now the threads are toast. I'll be buying the right tap/die set to see if I can cut new threads... ugh. Bigger frustration is now that I have the steering wheel off, there is this little 'tube' for the horn that will only fit in a certain spot on the steering wheel thus not allowing me to put it on however I want.

If that thing 'forces' the steering wheel to be in one spot, what do I do?
There is a plat under it with three screws. I removed the screws, but there is another plate that looks like a fan. Does any of that come off so I can rotate the horn thing?

Thanks!
The horm tube should rotate around without taking anything apart.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I look at the 'tube' it is in a slotted space in the metal beneath it. That slotted space allows the tube to move maybe 20 degrees, but that is it. Do you think the entire assembly (with the plate) should turn? It sure doesn't seem to.

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
When I look at the 'tube' it is in a slotted space in the metal beneath it. That slotted space allows the tube to move maybe 20 degrees, but that is it. Do you think the entire assembly (with the plate) should turn? It sure doesn't seem to.
Can you post a pic- it would help us help you.:yes:

·
Premium Member
7,732 Posts
That's the horn contact. It is spring-loaded and maintains an electrical contact with the steering wheel as you turn the wheel. The contact itself does not turn. All you really had to do was to remove the steering wheel and re-align it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry, but I am confused. The steering wheel has a hole in it that the 'horn' thing goes into. The hole is in a 'fixed' spot on the steering wheel, so the wheel can only be put on in one spot. The wheel would need to have many holes in order to go on in 'any' spot.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, after replacing the steering box and getting the alignment done the steering wheel is almost 90 degrees off. Everything seems about perfect on the car (pitman is centered, car tracks straight, etc)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts