Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put new hinges on my doors and now I'm fighting trying to get the door aligned. Every time I open the door, it feels like the hinges are binding. I'm tempted to borrow a trailer and take the car to a body shop and have them align the doors so I can set all the gaps. I'd rather not so I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on aligning the doors. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

·
6,560 Posts
I've only had to align doors with the welded on hinges and I have to think that the bolt on style when they were originally bolted on the assembly line used some type of jig.
Here's how I might approach your situation. Take the hinges apart and get some solid round stock or round tubing to fit into the holes left by the hinge pins and have it long enough to go from the top of the upper hinge down and through the holes left by the hinge pins and then be long enough to then also go through the top and bottom of the lower hinge also through the hinge pin holes.
Now begin to bolt the cowl side of the hinges to the car and before they are fully tightened down insert the round stock through the hinge pin holes to keep the hinges square to each other and then tighten the bolts down. I would then loosely bolt the other half of the hinges onto the doors and then get the door into position, reinstall the hinge pins and bushings and align the door. If the door now opens and closes without binding, great, but let's say the door is too far forward I would leave the hinge bolts on the door alone but then loosen the cowl side bolts on the hinge to shift the door rearward (or forward for that matter).

I wonder too at what point this binding occurs. Could it be the inner door structure is rubbing against or hitting the door opening on the body somewhere ?. Most of the car's I've had have had bodywork done to them and this is something too to consider on just about any older vehicle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts