Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I am new to the forum but am hoping I can get some help. I have a 65 Nova with an early generation AJE front suspension. The suspension has never been on the road or track since purchased and installed on the car.

To make a very long story short, I set the camber/tow and everything looks good. When I put the car in reverse and roll back, the tires lay down DRASTICALLY creating very negative camber. When I put the car back in drive and pull forward, the camber corrects itself. So, something must be moving. I tore EVERYTHING apart including replacing the balljoints and nothing seems to correct the issue.

I dont want this to become an AJE bash session, just looking for some seriously needed help.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Sounds like something is loose. I would jack the front end up. Grab the tire and try to rock it front to back, side to side, top to bottom, etc. (in all directions) and see where the slack is at. If you can't find it that way, pop the hood and have someone put it in forward and reverse and try to see what and where it is moving.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Hey John ........ you can also "post your pictures "direct on to SNS" ....... (not using the 'attachment' ).
(just click on the 'camera' - - #1 = paper clip - - #2 = chain links - - #3 = smiley face - -
# 4 === That's the camera).
SNS new site - does make posting up pictures very easy , now.

............. jim

mksperanza ……….. Read the above to post a picture ….. in this post. Get your picture right from your
desktop . . . and, when you start posting - - - LOOK At The Lower part of THIS Box ; #1 - #2 - #3 - ---- # 4

and , WELCOME to SNS . . . . . . jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback guys. Before I posted my question I had someone move the car forward and back while watching from above and below. I can't see anything moving and I can't measure any differences (other than camber). I actually have a video: 20200328_143933.mp4

Hopefully that works.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Are your front springs really soft? Is there any preload in them?

I really can’t see the steering rack in your pics.
Is it possible that there is some kind of deflection happening in the steering system?
When you backed it up, did you look at the suspension while it was cambering and toeing in all weird?
Are the tires the only thing deflecting?
If it looks like it’s only the tires deflecting, try taking some more toe out and see what it does..

Some other people have had a similar problem with CBR front ends. Everything is new and tight but backing up into a parking spot the tires deflect and look funny..

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
I ran into the same thing and the guys on this site said that is normal as long as it staighten out when you go forward. Don't worry about it. Had the same thing.
1/8" toe is a little excesive. Go closer to 0

·
Registered
314 Posts
This appears to be a racing type suspension, and somewhat Greek to me, so my observation is pretty simplistic, and probably weak with my knowledge base, so take this as probably educational for me.

Considering this spindle is welded to the strut tube and steering arm (tie rod) plate, and this setup is unique in that there is no upper ball joint connection to the top of the spindle to provide additional support under stress, the stress being the reverse action of the camber the tires creates. The strut/shock being as long as it is provides no additional support to the spindle, as it will have deflection in it. So in my simple thinking, the combination of the stretch and deflection of the tires, ball joints, and tie rod ends, are all allowing this noticeable camber action in your front end, each if these items allowing a little bow and give. So, I have to say until you can actually drive this car on the street to test it better, I'd let it ride until then.
Sounds like a real heavy hitter mill in that 65, show us more of it, and good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Guys,

Sorry for my late response but I was able to do some experimenting over the weekend and here is what I found. Changing the tow to be slightly negative seems to have completely fixed the issue. The camber does not change in forward or reverse. I am still not sure exactly how that corrects the movement but I do understand how the tow can impact the camber. At this point, it needs put on a front end machine but that hasn't happened yet. For now, I am happy with camber and it feels pretty good on the road. Video: test drive.mp4

Thanks for the help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts