Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard of the AirRide shockwave system for sometime, but never have had the opprotunity to ride in one. What application are they designed for and are they used in street driving.
Thank you,
Bruce

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
They are meant for heavy hauling, 40,000lb loads on tractor trailer rigs :) Just kidding. I joke cause thats where the air bag systems are found mostly. They can handle alot of weight and last a very long time.

They are a street suspension component really, for race I would look at coilovers and the spring rate adjustability. The air ride springs are a nice setup for the street though. Spring rates for the air ride shockwaves are a mystery, for me anyway. I dont know that there is a way to determine it. And its "fixed" for the application. Meaning you have to supply a certain amount of air pressure to raise the car to the ride height. Once its at ride height you are stuck with that spring rate. And they are progressive though, I think?? Nice street spring though.

So, I gotta ask, why do you want to use them? Whats your plans for the car. JR

·
6,500 Posts
I dial in the Shockwave for both spring rate and height(for the last two cars anyway). I determine the ideal height I need by airing up the Shockwave and taking measurements at the top of the wheel openings. Then I drive the car to test for ride quality. If I'm lucky the height and quality is to my likeing. If not I find a low useage road with some mild bumps to feel the suspension. I then go up or down in air pressure until I get the ride quality I want. Pull over and measure the adjusted height. Go back home and figure out what to do to increase or decrease the Shockwave mounting attachment. The rear is resonably linear in Shockwave height change. The front A arms mounts aren't linear. For example if I see that the car rides 1" lower then I desire, I will move the Shockwave mount(upper or lower...perhaps both) maybe 1/2". Not sure how the 64 will ride. I've got Shockwaves all around. The back will be easy but the front isn't. I've already modified the lower A arm to get the drop I want(aired out) but have no idea what the ride will be like with 80-90 psi nor what the ride height will be at that pressure range.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Go back home and figure out what to do to increase or decrease the Shockwave mounting attachment.
And thats kinda an understatement cause what you said is you have to re-weld the locating mounts for the shockwaves. Its not adjustable, say like a coilover. The shockwaves need to run in a certain parameter (travel). You can adjust ride height with the welded in mounting points but they need to be run at their travel specs. You wont be changing the spring rate, just ride height.

The air springs are based on ride height (of the spring) not spring rate. So they are not as adjustable as a coilover where you can swap out a spring for a different rate while still holding the ride height you need.

They arent as adjustable for ride but they do ride nice from what I have heard.. JR

·
6,500 Posts
On my wagon I ended up changing the Shockwave upper mount for the fronts. The plate that sits on top of the inner fender was removed(bolted plate) and I remade the mounting point then reattached. The rear doesn't have the Shockwaves on yet but there will be additional mounting point to correct the ride height and quality.

For the 64 I'm building, I've added additional points on the rear axel (lower and an 1 extra hole from TCI's mount). 64 front lower A arm has the lower mount moved down 5/8" for the dropped height I want. I not sure what the ride height will be at the quality of spring rate I like. I"m hoping I can live with what I end up with.

When I did the 65 sedan I used bags front and rear.The fronts were OK but I altered the rear to get where I wanted to be by using a spacer under the lower bad mount.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts