Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is more of a rant than anything else. Not many of you guys can relate to this but I know some of you can. The motor in my truck is a 350 c.i. that puts out 352 [email protected] rpm. It gets there by way of a big cam and a big carb. I pass the driving test with flying colors but choke on the co at idle. No doubt the carb kinda loads it up a little at idle. $23 down the tube. Now it's off to pay some shop with a sniffer to de-tune it and go through. I know, I know, retard the timing, lean it out but that can be so hit and miss without a sniffer. I have done that in the past with other motors with smaller carbs. Any testimonials for methyl hydrate or no-smog or other products? Can anyone remember when their contract is up 'cause I'll be dancing in the streets. Sorry if i made your ears bleed guys.

·
14,809 Posts
I hear you Stroker. I had to take my 2002 Dakota in this week before renewing the insurance. $45 and they didn't even dyno it. The guy says, 'Good news, you passed.' The truck only has 90,000 Kms. on it. Of course it passed. Biggest ripoff ever, while big trucks and buses are driving around spewing smoke and emissions everywhere and nobody seems to care.

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
I do not look forward to aircaring the Nova this year, last year the detune was punishing to the motor to get it through. I am looking at getting some cats, but still I will need to detune it.

Aircare is a scam. a crock and a waste of time and money. :mad: There ya go Stroker..I added to the rant

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
a former employee used to work for aircare.he said the biggest misnomer is that turning down the idle helps.in fact,turning UP the idle will more likely get you through on a "close one" as it tends to keep exhaust temperature up and clears out the carb.
leftcoast carl.

oh yeah.........I HATE 'EM TOO!!!!!!!:mad:

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
My aircare guy said cats would help as well as doing it on a cold day. Cold day, less overheating, can lean it out more.

I always insure my car for a part year and then 60 days before aircare expires, I renew for a year. Get almost two years.

On one of my drivers, I had an awful time getting it though. Always filled up with Mohawk, lots of ethonal and dumped a litre of methyl hydrate.

I have had luck with the aircare in Coquitlam, not so much with Abbotsford. The Burnaby one was awful, but I think that one is gone.

I thought aircare was done in 2011?

Remember Earth Day is on April 22. I will make sure I drive my green car that day.:D

Ray, very frustrated with aircare

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
From the Aircare website.

Is the AirCare program ending?

The current testing contract with Envirotest Canada to provide light-duty vehicle emissions testing in this region runs until December 31, 2011. The Province has not made a decision on the future of light-duty vehicle emissions testing beyond 2011. In 2009 - 2010, the Province is scheduled to review the performance of AirCare and determine if automobile emissions remain a significant contributor to the air quality in this region and, if so, the most suitable program model for the future.

Maybe it is going away, maybe not.

Ray

1 - 7 of 7 Posts