Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I was going to install a new set of Monroe Air Shocks on my 70 Nova with multi leaf springs. First off, the shocks could not be mounted with the air lines toward the frame. They hit the frame. Second, they were to short. I had to jack up the rear end to get the bottom bolt in. They were the correct shocks, part number MA-762. I just thought I would ask to see if any one else ever had this promblem. I know air shocks are not the best deal but I just need a little lift in the rear.
Thanks for your time...
Curt

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Hello all,
I was going to install a new set of Monroe Air Shocks on my 70 Nova with multi leaf springs. First off, the shocks could not be mounted with the air lines toward the frame. They hit the frame. Second, they were to short. I had to jack up the rear end to get the bottom bolt in. They were the correct shocks, part number MA-762. I just thought I would ask to see if any one else ever had this promblem. I know air shocks are not the best deal but I just need a little lift in the rear.
Thanks for your time...
Curt
With the shocks off, the rear will sag lower than the shock will reach. You should jack up the rear and inch or so to put them on. Do you have room to put a 90 degree fitting for the air lines?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I too am running the Monroe air shocks on the rear, but on mine the air line mount is to the rear not towards the frame. Have they changed the design?

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
I had manroe air shocks, and there is a year specific type, you have the wrong ones, they make a set with the valve faceing to the rear, instead of the wheel well.

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Mine are right behind the rear license plate...

·
Registered
5 Posts
will these raise the car a bit? i am basically looking for a cheap-o solution that will allow me to lower my car 2 inches, then raise it back up 2 inches when i want to drive (poooormans airride, i know), and also keep it at that height if i add a person to the back seat.

·
Registered
768 Posts
will these raise the car a bit? i am basically looking for a cheap-o solution that will allow me to lower my car 2 inches, then raise it back up 2 inches when i want to drive (poooormans airride, i know), and also keep it at that height if i add a person to the back seat.
Yup, mine came with a set and it will raise or lower the car by about 2.5" at max.

·
Registered
128 Posts
i have a 70 too and mine point to the rear. one thing i did notice is the driver side shock seems to angle more and does not reach as far as the passenger side. my shock tops out if i put 35lbs or more of air. cant figure it out. dont know if anyone else has this problem or not?

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Monroe use to make a kit, with a compressor and switch you could install on your dash, With a push of a button you could raise or lower the shocks from inside. (Early air ride system) Just not very fast. I still have that compressor and its in my trunk to fill tires and beach balls....:devil:
I think there discontinued......

·
Registered
1 Posts
had same problem with ma762 on my 72.thats what they call for but to short shocks top out with little air in them. Called monroe and found ma719 has same mounts and 3 inches more travel.same problem with air inlet.Im running 245/60/15 tock lines right up and used clips have about 11/2 inches clearance.Done. Hope this helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts