Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Current: 67 Chevy II with a TCI Mustang II front end with the older spring shock set up, 2" drop spindles,
and 18" wheels. Driven approximately 1000 miles on this set up.
Issues: Still rides high and the ride is just ok.
Question: Anyone convert to a air shock with this set up, process, and pros and cons.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Where do you want to put the air shocks..? Front or rear..?
How low do you want it to ride..?
What spring rate do you have..?

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Are you running an aluminum LS engine..?
Did you originally order the TCI clip with this engine and transmission combination in mind..?

If you originally had a traditional cast iron small block in mind for this car..?

If not you probably have too high of a spring rate..

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you running an aluminum LS engine..?
Did you originally order the TCI clip with this engine and transmission combination in mind..?

If you originally had a traditional cast iron small block in mind for this car..?

If not you probably have too high of a spring rate..
Yes, ordered with the intention of putting in an LS (currently an LS1 aluminum block) and agree that the spring rate is probably too high.

My initial hopes were that the front rims would tuck under at least an inch or two.

The rear sits right where I want it so if I added air shocks I was thinking only in the front.

I have contacted TCI and got a few responses. No real solid fixes yet other than maybe cutting the springs.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Are you absolutely sure you have the 2” dropped spindles..?

I would think it would sit lower then it does.. An aluminum LS is about 100lbs lighter then an iron block.. Try to figure out what spring rate you have.. I think your control arms are about as close to the perfect attitude as you can get.. Cutting the coils probably would bring it down where you want it but the control arms may end up pointing up at the wheels.. This is not the best attitude..

This is my 63 with a TCI MII clip with dropped spindles on 18” wheels. I’ll try to get some pics of the spindles..
77945CD3-7C8D-4936-AC77-4BF33529AEC0.png
5554403D-F5DF-4C0F-A83E-4787C391F201.jpeg

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you absolutely sure you have the 2” dropped spindles..?

I would think it would sit lower then it does.. An aluminum LS is about 100lbs lighter then an iron block.. Try to figure out what spring rate you have.. I think your control arms are about as close to the perfect attitude as you can get.. Cutting the coils probably would bring it down where you want it but the control arms may end up pointing up at the wheels.. This is not the best attitude..

This is my 63 with a TCI MII clip with dropped spindles on 18” wheels. I’ll try to get some pics of the spindles.. View attachment 399399 View attachment 399400
I sent this pic to TCI to confirm the drop spindle and how yours sits is what I was shooting for.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
My dropped spindles have the axle at about 4.5” above the lower ball joints.. Stock height spindles are about 2” above. Your spindles look like my dropped spindles..

Mustang II spindle pics.
82236FFA-D83C-4E01-8EF5-42CB0EE3DEDC.jpeg
466D3BB1-FF10-49E1-B08A-B7F59E4FF4D8.jpeg

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the TCI clip with an LS engine also with17 inch rims. Couple of thoughts - according to TCI the lower control arm should be "parallel" to the ground for proper alignment height(at least that's my interpretation). So I measured from the inner end of the lower arm and the outer end and got an inch. I'm with you Jay-I want some "rake" to the stance. I ended up cutting about a third of one round of the coil spring. My '67 sits better and rides the same. Do I want lower? Maybe....
IMG_3037.jpg
IMG_3036.jpg

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a 66 SS HT and use stock suspension on the front, 2" drop spindles, 17" wheels. I added the Air Ride to the front to give me the ability to change the ride height from the drivers seat. Love it ! View attachment 399445
I have the TCI clip with an LS engine also with17 inch rims. Couple of thoughts - according to TCI the lower control arm should be "parallel" to the ground for proper alignment height(at least that's my interpretation). So I measured from the inner end of the lower arm and the outer end and got an inch. I'm with you Jay-I want some "rake" to the stance. I ended up cutting about a third of one round of the coil spring. My '67 sits better and rides the same. Do I want lower? Maybe.... View attachment 399623 View attachment 399622
I have a 66 SS HT and use stock suspension on the front, 2" drop spindles, 17" wheels. I added the Air Ride to the front to give me the ability to change the ride height from the drivers seat. Love it ! View attachment 399445
What Was the total cost on the project? How low can you go when driving? Brand and specs?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the TCI clip with an LS engine also with17 inch rims. Couple of thoughts - according to TCI the lower control arm should be "parallel" to the ground for proper alignment height(at least that's my interpretation). So I measured from the inner end of the lower arm and the outer end and got an inch. I'm with you Jay-I want some "rake" to the stance. I ended up cutting about a third of one round of the coil spring. My '67 sits better and rides the same. Do I want lower? Maybe.... View attachment 399623 View attachment 399622
I may have to do a little trimming on my springs as well. I can tell yours sits lower and looks better after the trimming on yours.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
You should put a couple thousand miles on it before chopping any coils off.. See if the springs relax and settle a bit. Also, see if you can figure out what spring rate you have. Also, what type of shocks do you have, oil filled dampers or gas charged?

·
Registered
137 Posts
What Was the total cost on the project? How low can you go when driving? Brand and specs?
I think I have close to 2800 into the air ride system with air bags, compressor and all. I also have 2" drop spindles on it.
I can drop it at an event to where the headers are 3/4" off the ground but when I am driving I usually have it set to #2 position, this is where I have the alignment done at. I can drop it to #1 position while running down the road and it will come down 1.5", fine on good roads like the freeway. #3 position is for rough roads or parking lots and speed bumps.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You should put a couple thousand miles on it before chopping any coils off.. See if the springs relax and settle a bit. Also, see if you can figure out what spring rate you have. Also, what type of shocks do you have, oil filled dampers or gas charged?
300 Springs and whatever shocks came with the TCI clip

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
300lb spring rate is probably a bit high for an aluminum block LS. Standard wound coil springs with a rate of 300lbs will compress in a linear progression per inch of compression.

The compression ratio looks like this:

Compression of 1” requires 300lbs
Compression of 2” requires 600lbs
Compression of 3” requires 900lbs
Compression of 4” requires 1200lbs

A 250lb springs would probably be a better rate for your setup. Remember that the rate is per spring.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts