Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about installing an Air Ride Suspension in my 67,, can anybody help???? Does the 4 link rear hook right up?? or do you have to weld on any brackets??? Also I am going to instal new frnt leaf brackets, should I wait and mock them up with the 4 link or mock them with the old leaf springs??

thanks in advance
Extreme:cool:

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
The advantage of mocking it up while the leaf springs are in place is you have a good ride height already. If thats where you want it.

Now you say 4 link and leaf springs? They are both in place right now? I dont know the 67 suspension. Im assuming you have a 4 link triangulated suspension, but with leaf springs? Im a lil confused on what you have under there right now. Ill help out as much as I can, just need to know the exact suspension you have. JR

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Air Ride

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the confusion OK right now I have only the original leaf suspension which is out of the car. I have replaced the mounts were the front section of the old leafs attach. I have not welded these mounts in yet. I plan on putting in a air ride 4 link in place of the old leaf springs. Here is my question;; do I mock up the placement of the new mounts with the old leafs or do I use the new air ride 4 link?? Also has anyone ever installed an air ride suspension and if so what was it like???

Thanks
Extreme:D

·
Registered
345 Posts
I am in the process of installing a heidts 4 bar (not 4 link) with air ride (shockwaves). I cut out the front leaf mounts and am making new brackets to weld to. I mocked up evertything to verify fitment as well as verifying anything else to cut out, which I discovered I will need to notch the rear floor pan below the rear seat to accomodate the upper bar when the car is slammed to the ground, I am going to use 2" hat channel (18ga.) for this. I have pics of an earlier air ride install that I did with air bags and leafs. (see attached site) PM with any questions.

Jesse

http://s583.photobucket.com/albums/ss278/01ws6bird/

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I have a full art morrison rear clip with 4-link. I removed the coilovers and panhard bar. Replaced the coilovers with air ride tech shockwaves and a home built watts link. Its all done. Fabbing up the sway bar now and will post pics when that is done. But I can help with questions??

Basically I mounted my tires and determined how far out I could come with the shockwaves. Made mounts for the ford 9" tubes, rear mounts. I could have used front, top or rear, decided on rear. Welded them in. I made some solid struts that are exactly the length of the shockwaves at ride height. Didnt wanna be welding around the rubber bellows and I wanted a definite point to work from, side to side. After the axle mounts were welded in I made some upper mounts out of 1/2" plate. I bolted the upper mounts to the struts and clamped it to the frame then welded.

I over simplified the process here. Getting the correct angles on both sides took some measuring. I have a digital protractor, that made it painless. My car is jacked WAY up so it was just a matter of setting the protractor to a vertical frame section that I knew was vertical to the road then zeroing the protractor. Then I could align the shockwaves up with the zeroed protractor.

You could do the same with a regular protractor but this thing made it easy without any math.

So I set the shockwaves up vertical to the car, and they angle in to the frame from the axle mount from the tire.

The fabbing up of the mounts took longer than it should have. But I kinda went overboard. They are simple but stout. And I didnt just drill 5/8" holes. I under size drilled them and reamed them for a solid bolt fitting. I think thats important for a single shear mounting on the bottom.

I also made some 1" spacers so I could move the rearend backward slightly if needed. Its a 4-link and its set all the way forward right now. So if I need to extend the upper or lower links at all I still have room to move the shockwaves back (top mount) if need be to keep it from binding. And if I change the pinion angle it a simple matter of making some angled spacers in the future. But the rearend is set up correctly now, but just in case I wanted some flexibility at the top mount.

Anyway, I could go on all day with some of the build process, but then you would just be dozing off LOL Lemme know if I can be any help, glad to. JR

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
extreme41:

Give me a call at the shop and I think I can answer your questions easier than via e-mail.

Walt
541-482-5658

I will be out of the shop on Tuesday.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WOW Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info guys really appreciate it.... I will be in touch... and Jr I was not dozzing off with you reply will take all the info you can give.....:eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts