Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any air conditioning gurus on the forum? My 1976 Nova has factory a/c. Most of the time it's operating it's cold, but not "icy" as it should be. At road speeds (60-70 mph), seems like the air is no more than just barely cool. Upon slowing to about 40-50 mph, the air gets colder. I put a set of gauges on it, and the low side reads about 45 on the scale. With an increase in engine rpm, the gauge falls to about 30 on the low side, but the air doesn't seem any colder. Any thoughts/ideas? Thanks, David

·
Registered
667 Posts
Any air conditioning gurus on the forum? My 1976 Nova has factory a/c. Most of the time it's operating it's cold, but not "icy" as it should be. At road speeds (60-70 mph), seems like the air is no more than just barely cool. Upon slowing to about 40-50 mph, the air gets colder. I put a set of gauges on it, and the low side reads about 45 on the scale. With an increase in engine rpm, the gauge falls to about 30 on the low side, but the air doesn't seem any colder. Any thoughts/ideas? Thanks, David

What's the high side pressure? It's not really possible to give any helpful advice without both readings. Still R12 or converted to 134A?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nova a/c

I think I've found an answer to the a/c problem. The system is still R12. The a/c compressor clutch fried last weekend on a long road trip, so guess I'll start fresh and go through the entire system. I don't like the idea of converting to 134, so I'll go with 12 or Freeze 12. It's worked good in my 87 Turbo Coupe and my 88 Yugo for 3-4 years now w/ no problems. Now I'm looking for a compressor and accumulator for the 1976 Nova w/ a 250 6 cyl. Are they still available new or re-man? My local parts store says they can't get either. Thanks, David.

·
Registered
577 Posts
The following are Four Seasons part numbers. The R4 compressor is the smaller of the two styles and is commonly referred to as the pancake style.

57052 w/A6 Compressor ; Reman w/o Clutch

57089 w/A6 Compressor ; Reman w/Clutch

57223 w/R4 Compressor ; Reman w/Clutch

58089 w/A6 Compressor ; New w/Clutch

58223 w/R4 Compressor ; New w/Clutch

accumulator part number
38601 Receiver Drier/Accum Asm VIR Assembly

HTH,

Dan

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nova A/C

supr78nova, Thanks for the part #s for the a/c components. Looks like I'll have to get a compressor and accumulator at the least. Will make for a good winter project. David

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Air Cond install

Does anyone recommend a A/C shop in Southwestern Ont. I would like to have a Vintage Air MarkIV underdash installed on a 71 Wincy99:yes:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm in the middle of converting my system to R134a. I am opening up the VIR and cleaning and replacing the desicant bag with a kit. Advance has the kit for about $22. While there I noticed they had the entire VIR accumulator for $80 something bucks. Much better price than the $179 I was quoted from a local AC supply shop.

Here's a link to an AC website I've learned a lot from. Here is the thread that's sprung up from my 76 VIR questions.

http://www.autoacforum.com/messageview.cfm?catid=2&threadid=21191

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
76 was the last year for the POA, VIR system. My 77 came with an R4 compressor and the CCOT system. With some new style hoses it will convert to 134A easily. The AC forum TNshadetree posted a link to is very good.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A/C repair/parts, etc.

TNshadetree, Philip............ Some great info. on the parts availability for the a/c system. Thanks for posting it. I'm having to replace the compressor, as well as the poa/vir assembly, but I'll be keeping the system R12. I'm not a real fan of the 134a conversions. Most I've seen here do not perform well, especially on the older cars. The clutch fried on my compressor, so an entire compressor is probably the best way to go here. What do you guys use to flush the system before re-assembling and evacuation and charging, and what method do you use? Thanks, David.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts