Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to purchase or possibly restore the outside plastic vents balls on an early Nova air conditioning unit (like the attached picture shows).

Does anyone know of a company that I could contact?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Frank

Attachments

·
Registered
888 Posts
Awesome! Best of luck. I plan on using an underdash ac unit as well and have been looking for a way to replace the chrome/diamond pattern background.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
13,269 Posts
I would like to purchase or possibly restore the outside plastic vents balls on an early Nova air conditioning unit (like the attached picture shows). Does anyone know of a company that I could contact?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Frank
Frank, just a heads up. My '63 had the same evaporator as yours. I had the vent balls restored by a guy who chrome plated plastic (no longer in business, unfortunately). They looked great, but the chrome thickness prevented them from turning in the openings. I force fit them in, but couldn't turn them. I just left them in one position. I think a plastic chrome plater is what you're looking for.

Bob

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
tburgchevy ………………………… yes ; right here @ "Originality Section" = "Web Link Library" =
………... go down to - - "Restoration Supplies" look for "Auto Instruments - Plastic Chrome Plating" .

I just looked - - - link O K .

ps = a lot of good info @ the "Web Link Library" …………. some old links - do not connect anymore ;
some old Links - still work . give them a call . . . . . . u'r welcome . . . jim

·
Super Moderator
3,573 Posts
It's also called vacuum plating. Just like with plating metal, whatever you see in the surface, any tiny imperfection, comes out in the plating. VERY clean and prepared parts are put in a vacuum chamber and either particles or sheet chrome are used. Done well it's great, done poorly I lasts 6 months. If you have a very nice car or show car, this is an area that will take some extra money for the better job and be worth it. My source from the late '90's is long gone.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
I haven't used this company but have them listed as a possible source.

» Plastic Chrome bezels Instrument Specialties

Hope this works out for you.
Frank,
I have my evaporator housing, faceplate, and diffuser balls restored by Auto Instruments out of Martinsville, VA. about 5 or 6 years back.
After disassembly, I sent the components I wanted restored to them. If I recall it took about a month for the time-consuming process.
I was very much surprised at how reasonable the cost was, and very impressed with the quality of their work.
I highly recommend them thru experience!

Also, I'm not knocking Sam's suggestion of Instrument Specialties, whereas, they might be equally good (or better?)

·
Vendor
1,457 Posts
There are a handful of places that perform vacuum metalizing. The place we were using closed shop. I have been told these guys do good work: Restoration | Vacuum Orna-Metal

Gives you a few options for the service. Let us know who you use.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts