Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The top a/cleaner lid on my engine, fits real good on top of carb, The lettering on the bottom of lid is in the pic. the chrome shop says they cannot rechrome just the top side, would loose the lettering if they re-chromed it. It is somewhat pitted on top but still looks cool to me. I would like to keep the lettering.....any suggestions? thanks

·
6,501 Posts
Could you go to a company that makes rubber stamps and have a stamp made and then restamp it with some kind of ink ?.

Could a stencil be made out of vinyl (cut out on a laser) and then applied and a paint sprayed and once dried remove the stencil ?.

I know a buddy down the street had a rubber stamp made for some markings on an underhood part on the AMC's and he gets parts sent to him prepaid for shipping and his costs, he then stamps them, and then returns them. I don't think he has too much invested in his stamp but it might not be very elaborate.

Jim

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
All those letters are 'stamped' in, still up in the air weather it would show if they rechromed whole piece, need to call them again, Can just the topside be powder coated?

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
My air cleaner is the same and I would also love to save the lettering.No luck yet.:(

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
john_L. said:
The top a/cleaner lid on my engine, fits real good on top of carb, The lettering on the bottom of lid is in the pic. the chrome shop says they cannot rechrome just the top side, would loose the lettering if they re-chromed it. It is somewhat pitted on top but still looks cool to me. I would like to keep the lettering.....any suggestions? thanks
looks like two options:
1) have a stencil made of the info and paint the info back on
2) have a vinyl decal made that has the info stuck onto the back of the clear front face vinyl, weed out the back leaving only the information, stick the clear face with info on the back down and peel the clear away. most graphic houses can make this type of vinyl tranfer for you. there are many choices of adhesive on vinyl that can be used. these stand up to many things including heat and time........
best of luck!

·
Registered
520 Posts
When I worked for the airlines we had a plating shop in-house. We would machine down an area to be fixed but leave the rest alone. The plate shop used a hot rubbery plastic they would dip the part into and then cutaway the section to be plated. The part would come out perfect with the insides of a bushing clean and the outside newly plated. I am not sure why these guys couldn't do it unless it is a different process. We would add .003 to .004 to the part and machine it down vs. flash plating for looks.

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found a place to do the topside only, and leave the underside of top lid alone. When I see the results I will re-post.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts