Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am debating what kind of air cleaner to run above my hood, and found out that the engine is off center one inch to the passenger side and have found out most are, what do you guys do when you run the scoop/air cleaner above the hood, just run it off center or modify it to be on center?

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
I am debating what kind of air cleaner to run above my hood, and found out that the engine is off center one inch to the passenger side and have found out most are, what do you guys do when you run the scoop/air cleaner above the hood, just run it off center or modify it to be on center?
ABOVE your hood?...I guess the question really is why would you want to do that and butcher up a hood? Why wouldn't you buy an air cleaner assembly that fits under your hood or buy a cowl hood etc.? IMO it's a "backyard Joe Bob" afterthought look kinda like tires that stick out of the wheel wells where guys put air shocks to jack them up in the air to clear like a cat does when you pet it's back look.

Yes, early Nova's have the drivetrain offset to the passenger side.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Put the hole in the center and make it bigger to compensate, i would also try a supercharger scoop so it looks cool otherwise your nova will look like it came from OHIO and im not kidding, every time i go to cedar pointe i see another 84 camaro with a 14x6" air cleaner sticking out with 10" cragars .LOL

·
Registered
94 Posts
We cut ours because were putting a scoop on the steel hood,
for now i guess its billy bobed up.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I have to agree with Seattle Mike and the others and ask why you would want to do that.

1, It just does not look to good
2, As you already know the motor is off set
3, Rain...:eek::eek::eek: What are you going to do???
4, Air Flow is not so clean and good around that area when you do that.
5, Soild motor mounts???
6, How are you going to cut the hole???

With all cowl hoods and drop base air cleaners out today I don't see a need for it. Also how high are you going to make the air cleaner. We have my wifes all under a stock hood on a 62 and it's cool to open the hood see how it all fits.

Keep your car clean and under the hood, it a year or two you will be thanking us for giving you are thoughts.

Joe

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hood

ABOVE your hood?...I guess the question really is why would you want to do that and butcher up a hood? Why wouldn't you buy an air cleaner assembly that fits under your hood or buy a cowl hood etc.? IMO it's a "backyard Joe Bob" afterthought look kinda like tires that stick out of the wheel wells where guys put air shocks to jack them up in the air to clear like a cat does when you pet it's back look.

Yes, early Nova's have the drivetrain offset to the passenger side.
I am going to run a little blower that i cant fit a air cleaner on under the hood, i dont want to run a cowl because most people got them and i am going for a old school look.So i was thinking of running a blower type air cleaner but i want a 15-8-4 inch k&n air cleaner so i am either going to make my own air cleaner-scoop and run it above the hood or make a two lane black top style scoop my friend let me borrow his 2lane btop scoop from his 62 nova that he ran in the 60s. Best of all its not going to cost me anything and its going to look old school and i get to make it my self like guys did in the old days with pride!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have a hole in my hood for the tunnel ram and a Hillborn style scoop.With the scoop and a Pete jackson gear drive,people think I have a blower,untill I pop the hood completly.

·
Registered
141 Posts
my air cleaner was 1/2" off center when i stringed it so i cut the hole bigger. drove me nuts with it off center in the hole so i put in the comp solid body mounts i had sitting for awhile and its dead center now.

drew the circle with a compass and scratched it into the paint. cut it with a jigsaw. really easy. with the size air cleaner i have i didnt get into the hood bracing underneath. if you do this you may need someone else to put pressure on the hood where your cutting since it can start to vibrate pretty bad.

does this help much? probably not. im using junk paper filters. reminds my old circle track racer friend of the street stocks back in the day. modifieds and many other circle track cars still have the filters through the sheet metal today. if i were to keep this hood on the car id cut it for my 14" setup and cut it tighter. i like the look but im always changing the car around and have went through all different kinds of snorkle and cowl glass hoods. having hinges again isnt bad either haha. havent finished this hood since my plan is to go big block which will probably put the filter in a different spot. cowl panel is mising to try to help with cooling since my stock 6 cylinder radiator cant keep up in the heat.

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
my air cleaner was 1/2" off center when i stringed it so i cut the hole bigger. drove me nuts with it off center in the hole so i put in the comp solid body mounts i had sitting for awhile and its dead center now.
So help me understand this...you purposely misaligned your entire body so your hood scoop is centered :confused::confused::confused:

That's a new twist I hadn't thought of...

It appears that if you would of used a normal air cleaner you could of avoided hacking up your hood and misaligning the bodywork...what am I missing here? I'm trying to think of some reasons but I am at a loss...I'm thick headed sometimes.

·
Registered
141 Posts
no, stock body mounts had deteriorated to the point of nothing left. made the subframe sit crooked and the air cleaner sit off to one side. loosened the body bolts on the front sheet metal and and put the new solid bushings in. it made the car line up nice, fixed the body lines and centered the air cleaner. just had to tighten everything up after that.

i assume you know your working with gm tolerances so your air filter might not line up in the center of the hood even with everything perfectly aligned and straight. i like the look and the hood was just a junk stock hood i had lying around. the car had a harwood cowl before this i just get tired of looking at cowls on everything. i have another hood i havent finished that will have a ford thunderbolt style tear drop molded into it.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Different strokes for different folks. It's your money. I'm always thinking about keeping things clean and neat. But that's me. Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Good grief, if the man wants to cut a hole in his hood, let him do so. I don't think the question was "should I cut a hole in the hood", I think it was more directed at the "how".

For the record, I also just did the same thing, and used the suggestion above. Simply cut the hole centered, but a little larger than needed on one side. Folks will not be paying attention to the exactness of the centered hole, but more toward what's sticking up through it.

Enjoy !
ND

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
If your near detroit

I have a plasma cutter that would do it in about 10 minutes, otherwise snap on makes a panel cutter, other option, is home depot sells and AWESOME hole cutter, up to like 12 inches for 110.00

I always wondered, what kind of shaker hood could be made custom for a nova, not a another brand, a original nova only carbon fiber shaker/air cleaner assy...

Would be wild as hell

Steve

And if you wanna cut your hood, cut it, its your car, who cares what people think

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Hood

Good grief, if the man wants to cut a hole in his hood, let him do so. I don't think the question was "should I cut a hole in the hood", I think it was more directed at the "how".

For the record, I also just did the same thing, and used the suggestion above. Simply cut the hole centered, but a little larger than needed on one side. Folks will not be paying attention to the exactness of the centered hole, but more toward what's sticking up through it.

Enjoy !
ND
I was asking how or just what you guys do as far as running the air cleaner- bug catcher blower scoop off center or modify it to be on center i figured most guys just ran it off center, cowl hoods are cool dont get me wrong but most people run them, i like old school nostalgia type stuff and think its cool when someone builds a car that looks different from the norm, im not to into the round air cleaner threw the hood i was thinking more two lane black top scoop,homemade bug catcher , or maybe an old snorkel scoop, but thats the beuaty of hot roding building what you like not caring what anybody thinks, i also ditched the front bumper and turn signals and made a aluminum bumper bar and hid harley turn signals in the grill so the man cant hassel me, i just got the car going after 5 years of creating my master peice its had a lot of down time so i am stoked to be driving it!Who knows if i found a good deal on a 4 inch cowl i might even buy it, party on!

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
I really don't care if someone wants to cut up a car, that's their business...I was just curious what the thought process was behind it since I couldn't think of any reason why I would ever do that to ANY car unless it had a powerplant combination that required the extra space...simple as that.

·
Registered
457 Posts

Enjoy !
ND
LOL! OH! I agree with you, I was guilty. Thanks for checking.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think you can buy air cleaner bases that are off center,if i remember right but their made of cheap plastic and when get hot they tweak a bit.
For the record we will be putting a scoop on ours soon.I like things clean to but we are useing a stack under our air cleaner to get some fresh air.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts