Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if anyone could explain the entire drainage/ circulation of the third gens to me.

i know air comes through the cowl, and down the sides into our kick panels, where the vents are. and it appears that the rockers are opened up and lead to the back as well, leading to between the outer quarter and around the wheel well and trunk drop off area.

my question is, how does water drain from those areas, and, how would you remove any collection of whatever animals may have lived in your rockers without cutting them open.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
You are correct about how air (and water) flows in through the cowl, down through the kick panels, and into the rocker panels. There are drain holes in the rocker panels to let the water out.

The factory literature (sales brochures & such) described them as "flush and dry rocker panels". The idea was to let water entering the cowl area flush any dirt/debris out of the cowl & rocker panels and the air flow dry them out.

Removing large debris (animal remains, nests, etc) from inside the rockers without cutting them open is going to be tricky. The best suggestion I can think of would be to attach a long piece of hose to a vacuum cleaner and feed it down inside the rocker panel through the kick panel vent openings (panel vents removed). I've used that method to clean out other boxed in areas (subframe rails and floor braces) but never tried it on Nova rocker panels. If gaining access through the kick panel vents doesn't work, you could probably make an access hole in the end of the rocker panel (with the front fender removed or through the rear wheelwell) and feed the vacuum hose in through there. I think a hole at the end would be easier to plug afterward with a plastic body plug (or by welding in a patch) as opposed to cutting lengthways along the rocker.

·
Registered
711 Posts
You are correct about how air (and water) flows in through the cowl, down through the kick panels, and into the rocker panels. There are drain holes in the rocker panels to let the water out.

The factory literature (sales brochures & such) described them as "flush and dry rocker panels". The idea was to let water entering the cowl area flush any dirt/debris out of the cowl & rocker panels and the air flow dry them out.

Removing large debris (animal remains, nests, etc) from inside the rockers without cutting them open is going to be tricky. The best suggestion I can think of would be to attach a long piece of hose to a vacuum cleaner and feed it down inside the rocker panel through the kick panel vent openings (panel vents removed). I've used that method to clean out other boxed in areas (subframe rails and floor braces) but never tried it on Nova rocker panels. If gaining access through the kick panel vents doesn't work, you could probably make an access hole in the end of the rocker panel (with the front fender removed or through the rear wheelwell) and feed the vacuum hose in through there. I think a hole at the end would be easier to plug afterward with a plastic body plug (or by welding in a patch) as opposed to cutting lengthways along the rocker.
I tired all those methods with not much luck. I ended up cutting a large square hole on the inside of the rocker and shoving the vacuum hose in to remove a large nest of dead mice/rats.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the kickpanels off, and my shop vac can get alittle ways in, and I am just thinking of how i can extend the hose to go through the rocker. i am pretty certain there is a fair amount of junk in it though. but i will try to get at it from both sides.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts