Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yet again the nova wont start :mad:

as some of you know from the last time i posted it was the battery at the time, changed the alternator went to get my battery replaced (free) and she started right up worked fine this week didnt start it for about 2 days and now today when i tryed starting her, nothing :mad: this time it turns over (i think thats whast its called) and then its just lots of clicking before it wouldnt even click or anything not it turns over and theres just alot of clicking over and over so now my guess is that its the starter or what someone else told me the solenoid..what do you all think it is? :confused:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Sounds like something's draining the battery. I had a glove box light that stayed on when the key was off and the car was in the garage. Drove me nuts until I found it...might be something similar to that. You can also remove the starter and take it to the auto parts house, they can test it ....

pops

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like something's draining the battery. I had a glove box light that stayed on when the key was off and the car was in the garage. Drove me nuts until I found it...might be something similar to that. You can also remove the starter and take it to the auto parts house, they can test it ....

pops
i dont have a glove box light or anyother light inside besides the dome light...last time the battery was drained all the lights were very dim and weak and the horn sounded very very low but this time all the lights are bright and the horn is loud

·
Registered
347 Posts
make sure you have a good ground connection between the bat and the chassis ive seen that cause the same prob, works great with lights, radio, horn, ect.. but when you try to pull a load like using the starte.. it shorts and smokes and sparks.. ect,.. easy way to test it is to take a set of jumper cables and hook the black one to the negative terminal on the battery and the other black one to a good ground on the car.. leave the red un hooked!.. and try to start it,. if it fires then whalla! change the cable, if not ide check the alt again.. loose belt maybe?

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
make sure you have a good ground connection between the bat and the chassis ive seen that cause the same prob, works great with lights, radio, horn, ect.. but when you try to pull a load like using the starte.. it shorts and smokes and sparks.. ect,.. easy way to test it is to take a set of jumper cables and hook the black one to the negative terminal on the battery and the other black one to a good ground on the car.. leave the red un hooked!.. and try to start it,. if it fires then whalla! change the cable, if not ide check the alt again.. loose belt maybe?
well the alt belt is on good not to lose not to tight, as for the ground wire im not sure but when i tryed starting it my mom said she saw smoke come out but im not sure if it was the carb that smoked cause i pumped it or what

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Not to be disrespectful, but I think you would do well to spend a few dollars on a Chilton manual. There you will be able to find important information about your car and a lot of trouble shooting guides that can help you.

Jim Smith

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
Not to be disrespectful, but I think you would do well to spend a few dollars on a Chilton manual. There you will be able to find important information about your car and a lot of trouble shooting guides that can help you.

Jim Smith
LOL!!

Buahahahaa!!

But why should he do that when he can spend all sorts of money on a new altenator, battery, starter, wiring harness, oh and a fresh pine tree air freshener? :stir:

It's no fun to look at a manual and spend the time properly diagnosing something. It's better to throw money at it and hope the new parts fix it. :popcorn:

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
You can take the starter and alternator to Autozone to test it and they wont charge you anything. I bet most likely its a wiring issue.

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well the alternator is new so i doubt its that but ill still get it tested..but as for the starter im guessing thats the problem and ya possibly wires

·
Registered
67 Posts
Disconnect positive battery cable and connect test light between cable & pos terminal. If the test light lights you have a draw. The brighter the light the stonger the draw. Unhook alt,fuses ect one at a time until light goes out then you track it down from there. For example if pull a fuse and light goes out check every thing on that circut and see if thats what is draining your battery.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Disconnect positive battery cable and connect test light between cable & pos terminal. If the test light lights you have a draw. The brighter the light the stonger the draw. Unhook alt,fuses ect one at a time until light goes out then you track it down from there. For example if pull a fuse and light goes out check every thing on that circut and see if thats what is draining your battery.
that's a new one.

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dam i tired taking off the starter but that little screw that holds the wires down wont come off, i spent about an hour trying to take it off and it wont budge :mad: i spun that thing like 100 times and it showed no sign of coming lose :mad:

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
do i let the car that is jumping me run a while? or just a few mins and try to fire it?

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
First, did you ever get the cheap multi-meter and check the voltage. Second, where did your mom see smoke coming from?

Your are going to be lost trying to work on the electrical system without a volt and ohm meter.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
that's a new one.
Or you can take the positive and negative off and put an ohm meter between the two cables. If you get any kind of reading, you have have a closed or partially closed circuit some place.

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well im gonna possible get a new starter and ground wire but i dont know what the ground wire looks like. is it the wire that goes from the starter to the battery?

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
well im gonna possible get a new starter and ground wire but i dont know what the ground wire looks like. is it the wire that goes from the starter to the battery?
The ground wire being referenced is the one from the negative side of the battery attached to the engine block (generally the front of the passenger side of the engine).

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
do i let the car that is jumping me run a while? or just a few mins and try to fire it?
63postman wasn't recommending actually jump starting your car, but using the jumper cables to supplement your ground connection from the negative side of your battery to the block as an attempt to see by doing so resolves your issues, i.e. process of elimination... If by jumping from the negative side of the battery to something metal attached to your engine solves the problem, that would indicate your existing ground connection is poor and needs to be cleaned/tightened or cable replaced.

Remember to 1) look at the easy and simple thinks first (like making sure all your electrical connections are clean and tight, crimps are good, etc.) then 2) move on to checking things with a multimeter, checking voltage and conductivity, then 3) getting your components tested and replaced as necessary.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts