Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be going to one of the smaller aftermarket starters on this '70SS that I am building. Never had one before. Does anyone have a preference or a stay the hell away from suggestion. It is a fresh roller cammed 350 with 9.5:1 compression that we just dynoed right at 400HP.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've been using the Powermaster XS series in a few of my vehicles and they are excellent, they spin my 434 small block and 496 stroker like the spark plugs are not in them. Easy install, (come with shims but never needed them) and can easily clock it to get best clearance, not overly expensive either. I know many have a personal preference but this 1 has been my go-to

·
Registered
501 Posts
Many if not most mini starters are Hitachi based. This starter is essentially the same as most minis in the $125 range at half the cost.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Definetly use the new mimi starter. They have more torque then the older large diameter design. They also have a lot of room around them so they don't get cooked by the headers as easy. Removal and installation is a breeze as well.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
i replaced my stock starter on a 327 with a power-master mini starter P/N was 255-9100 cost was 135.00 from speedway motors. free shipping an took 3 days to get to me. my stock starter worked great if it was a cold starter but if i had run the nova on the road for any kind of time an then seat for 10-15 minutes the header heat would kill the solinoid/starter till it cooled down to 120 degrees or less. new mini stater no problem with heat from the headers, but i also did wrap the starter with a heat wrap i got from classic ind.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
I've been using the Powermaster XS series in a few of my vehicles and they are excellent, they spin my 434 small block and 496 stroker like the spark plugs are not in them. Easy install, (come with shims but never needed them) and can easily clock it to get best clearance, not overly expensive either. I know many have a personal preference but this 1 has been my go-to
X2 on the powermaster

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Go with the powermaster, I bought a cheap one and had problems with it, bought a powermaster two years ago it's been great

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to everyone. From reading the comments & the reviews on the stores websites I think that would be the go to choice here.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also comparing the DB Electrical starter that Alf linked to.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Also comparing the DB Electrical starter that Alf linked to.
I had one on my 421 from speedway. It worked for about a year. Figured I’d give it a try since they are local to me. Now I have one from DB electrical. It has been working fine for the last couple years.

·
Registered
501 Posts
The biggest killer of starters is a weak battery or undersized cables. IMO, even more so than header heat.
I think a lot of descent starters get improperly blamed.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
there wasn't really anything wrong with my original full size starter. i probably could have got away with a heat shield or the wrap i put on the mini starter. but the time it left me dead at an evening cruise in was the finale straw when i had to call a wrecker. was a good thing it was going to take 2 hours for the wrecker as the motor cooled down an it fired right up. mini starter an no more problems.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Hitachi PSL100.Has been on my 11.7:1 400 SBC (3-5 thousand miles/summer) for over 10 years.Had it rebuilt a couple years ago and it's still getting the job done.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I will be going to one of the smaller aftermarket starters on this '70SS that I am building. Never had one before. Does anyone have a preference or a stay the hell away from suggestion. It is a fresh roller cammed 350 with 9.5:1 compression that we just dynoed right at 400HP.
I have a 383 stroker in my1972. We changed out the starter to a mini. Went fine for awhile, but I do notice a difference. To me it seems a like it starts harder.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts