Chevy Nova Forum banner

Aftermarket Sheet Metal Issues.. Help.

2546 Views 11 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  64SSOwner
I am trying to piece together my TCI fron't end with new aftermarket fenders.

The fenders don't match the curvature of the door (in to out) or the lines don't match (between door and fender).

Also the passenger side seems to fit the inner fender, but the drivers side the holes are off by nearly an inch...

How do you guys handle this? Do you just start cutting and welding? I don't think I can live with how bad this is... :mad:

See less See more
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
closer pics of my problem areas

Drivers side close

Passenger side close

Holes don't line up...

holes line up
See less See more
I have a Alston front clip and bought dynacorn fenders and never could get fender/door align. = gaps right. Its amazing I put my rusted fenders on car and can get everything perfect. Thats just aftermarket metal, either look for workable OEM fenders or plan on metal work to fit aftermarket ones. Even OEM fender can vary on fit.
I am trying to piece together my TCI fron't end with new aftermarket fenders.

The fenders don't match the curvature of the door (in to out) or the lines don't match (between door and fender).

Also the passenger side seems to fit the inner fender, but the drivers side the holes are off by nearly an inch...

How do you guys handle this? Do you just start cutting and welding? I don't think I can live with how bad this is... :mad:

OEM, NOS or SOL!
j/k!

I will not put repop quarters or fenders on my cars because of the reasons you have stated. I have not done it but seen some cut/weld, fill the gaps with filler metal- welding in then grinding down- very tedious no doubt but can make it right.

...or keep shopping for original stuff-its out there just pricey!
i've seen quite a few cars that were blown apart in the restification/restoration process that the owner/builder had no thoughts what so ever on door, fender hood etc gaps. looks like hell. Dave & i were on a mission a few years back when we were doing his body work to find a car to compare what we were doing and we were very surprised to see cars that we thought had tens of thousands invested that looked like a pile of crap just because of the shoddy gaps.

break out the welder and tack on some welding rod on the door/fender edge and grind to suit... also, patch in the incorrect holes and re-drill 'em...

what else can ya do? scrap a couple new fenders? probably can't get a refund so that would be a waste, right?

you're now working on a "Custom" car with that aftermarket front clip so treat it as such and fix it... what else can ya do? :(

best of luck to ya Brutha, i feel yer pain...
See less See more
wait before you do all that. 4 eyes and hands are better than two. call me
NPHNP!! :thumbsup:

John
very ture!!! NPHNP!
I had a fender issue on a Camaro and we ended up getting another fender and sending the bad one back. It's surpricing how different they were. Exchange it if you can, if not you may have to do some drastic stuff to it. The partner I was working with on the project got out the "BIG" hammer and wood and beat the living daylights out of the fender to get the fender door arcs(for the lack of a better word) to match and the other fender he stepped into the middle and pulled on each side to get more arc. All this brutallity but he did it in such a way the it didn't mess anything up !! Hardly any filler or anything needed. He had been in the bodywork game for a long time and knew what he was tring to do. Make sure once you get them on the way you like them to check every part that bolts onto them for fit and finish before paint. We had a lot of issues with the headlight rings. Goodluck with it!:D
See less See more
As mentioned, if you have an old pair of fenders ,I would est them on there to compare the lines ,holes,etc and then go from there. I think I would also set the hood on to see how that lines up. I don't think I would want to drill new holes in the top of the fender if it is going to be to long- past the edge of the hood.
I still need to do a lot of measureing. My old front clip was really rusty and so when I got the TCI clip, I also got a new core support.

I had to open up 3 of the 4 holes on the core support to attach it to the frame rails. For all I know it could be off center as well compounding the issue.

If I had the project to do over, I would go to Arizona and buy a project car!
I went through a lot of the same issues on my car. I ended up doing a lot of body work to get the gaps right in the doors and the hood. I also had to cut about 3/4 of an inch out of the core support to get the gap between the drivers side fender and hood right. As already mentioned, make sure you fit your hood onto the car too. The tops of both of my fenders had to be built up to match the contour of the hood.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.