Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All

Does any one have any ideas for the "Largest and Thickest" aftermarket radiator that can be installed in the 67?

"The Vehicle Application for the Radiator" would be great so that I can find one and purchase it.

I don't want to go the Custom, High Dollar, Aluminum Radiator Route just yet.

I would like to use the Aluminum style with Plastic Tanks that would also have a bleed line connection that goes to a surge tank (Remote Reservior) to keep all the trapped air flowing "OUT" of the cooing system/radiator for Maximum Cooling Efficency.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks,

Dusty

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Good morning Dusty,

One piece of advice if I may; do it once and do it right. I have had my Nova for 10 years, and in the beginning I tried to cut corners to save a buck or two. I rebuilt two motors that I was not entirely happy with, only to finally make the plunge to a big block, which I have wanted for years. When it comes to cooling I read a lot of posts, and finally made the decision to work with someone who knows cooling, and will work with you to put together a system that will work for your car. I chose Alumitech, www.chevellecooling.com, and am very pleased with the product. It is not the cheapest, but Don has spent hours with me on the phone, answering questions, and offering advice. If this is a car you plan on keeping, call Don and get it done right the first time. You will not be setting in traffic watching the temp gauge.

Tiny

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I had a desert cooler from US Radiator when i lived in phoenix. I drove my car everyday and didn't get above 190 in July/August out there so it should work great in Ohio.

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
I had a desert cooler from US Radiator when i lived in phoenix. I drove my car everyday and didn't get above 190 in July/August out there so it should work great in Ohio.
I have the same exact radiator in my 67.great radiator..no problems.bm

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
radiators

In contrast to above posts,I'm cheap. If you are willing to do some light fabbing, All welded "racing" aluminum radiators are available. They run $160-$240 depending on source. I've used E-bay, and Speedway motors in the past. These radiators in conjunction with a set of good dual electric fans do a suberb job of cooling the big blocks in my '56 and also in my '65 Biscayne. 100 + degrees no issues. I just mounted one in my 66 Nova unfortunately header issues are delaying a maiden voyage report. Anyway,duplicating 1970's saddle mounts(top and bottom where the tanks meet the core) seem to be the simplest. I bought new mounts from Prothane at the Portland swap meet for the Nova. If you are a little careful this project should be done for less than $350. Radiator,fans,relays,switches etc. Also I just order the widest one that will fit between the frame and a good stainless screen will help save the soft aluminum from stone and bug damage. Best of luck. Current Nova rad. is 27.5"X 19"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts