Chevy Nova Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Hood trim fitment....

As I was installing the hood trim on my cowl induction hood, I noticed a gap between the hood and the trim.

Does anybody else have this issue?

I do have the hood emblem in place but was wondering if I need to tighten the nuts down more to take up this gap...
I had the same problem, it's not the trim it's the hood. My repo trim fit perfect on the factory hood, put it on my Goodmark cowl hood and there was a gap. When I looked at both hoods, the factory hood had more of a point. I had to use a little body filler and make a new point. Turned out good I'll post pics this evening. Jeff

·
Registered
626 Posts
Ill throw this in on the performance side...I just bought a set of big block hedman headers for my 69 and they fit pretty good for an off the shelf part I did have to put a slight ding in the second tube on the drivers side but this maybe due to running the small block frame stands but for 159.99 im satisfied completely ....part # 68190 from summitt racing

·
Registered
810 Posts
Door weather strip from J&W Nova parts for 68-74 2 doors fit and looks perfect just like the original. The 3 piece drip rail moulding fit pretty good just needs a slight tweak to make it look great, best Ive found so far.

·
Registered
219 Posts
All of my parts have been purchased at RCP in Tempe AZ, they are Dynacore parts and all have fit very nicely, from quarter skins to outer wheel houses to deck lid and tail light panel. I scored some original fenders in amazing shape for $200. All I need now is a 4'' cowl hood and a core support! All in which will be bought from RCP
http://www.restorationperformance.com/servlet/StoreFront
Also I get free shipping because I pick my parts up in store!!!! That is a big plus

·
Registered
35 Posts
Floor Pans

I recently bought some Goodmark driver and passenger side full length floor pans for my 74 coupe from Andy's Autosport. I have not had the pleasure of installing them yet, maybe next week. However the parts look to be of good quality. I have made many stamping and forming dies in my years as a machinist, and the die/dies that made this part were of good quality and maintained properly. All of the contours and edges are the way they are supposed to be. I will only be using the front portion of the floor pans but decided to buy the full length ones just because... The packaging for shipment was adequate, and I felt the price was agreeable. I will report back with information on the fitment, but I suspect that all will be dandy.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have had some positive experiences (and some negative which i wont mention) as the moderators have directed.

Trim Parts-
Front marker light lenses and seals. EXACT duplicates of the originals and fit the original housings perfectly. I was very impressed with these.

TWI-
Rear tailights. Nice quality, original bulb sockets and fit to original tail panel are good.

OER-
Pedal pads and gas pedal. Good fit and matched the original very well.

Full Right hand floor pan. I will admit that I initially ordered a floorpan from another manufacturer, but only the OER pan was in stock. The fit and thickness was good to very good in my opinion.

Front Bumper brackets. Had some minor visual differences from originals but the fit was good and I mixed them with the good original ones.

PUI-
Rear door panels, trunk divider, divider insulation, package tray, rear seat cover. Fit was good and matched my originals closely (I didnt have all the original stuff to comapre though)

I have some other parts from various manufacturers that the overall quality or fit was pretty bad. It seems like many manufacturers have both "good" and "bad" parts.

·
Registered
250 Posts
1st gen trunk lids?

Does anybody have any good input on aftermarket 1st gen trunk lids? The one that I bought is about half the weight of the factory one and is very flimsy.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Does anybody have any good input on aftermarket 1st gen trunk lids? The one that I bought is about half the weight of the factory one and is very flimsy.
HTCHEVYII,

Your best bet would be to start a similiar thread in the 1st and 2nd Gen section. You might get a better response there eventhough some of us had a 1st or 2nd Gen in the past...

I want to add the following issue as an update and the correct measures that were taken.

Be weary of some of the shackle bushing kits. Some of the kits that are flooding the aftermarket do not have the correct length bolts. I originally had rubber bushings and found out that after a year on the car, they were severely cracked.

I upgraded to polyurethane bushings and tried to use those bolts from an earlier kit and they were 1 1/4 too short. I purchased some bolts that were of the 5 1/4" length and had no issues after that.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
The quarter window post plastic trim (68-71) from Classic do not fit properly. They are about 1/4" (1/8" on the top and bottom) short and are not bent to fit the curve on the post and are very flimsy (thin). They are unfortunately straight but the holes do line up and can be screwed onto the post. You might be able to heat the plastic and then tape them to the post and let it set-up and cool for proper fit. I bought a new, good plastic welder to fix my originals. First try with a Harbor Freight Plastic Welder was not good but I have used it with success and good results in the past. I bought a new more expensive welder and it is rated very high by every mother's son who has used it. I can only hope...Jack This one: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Urethane-Supply-Company-5600HT-Mini-Weld/dp/B000GKDMHW[/ame]

7/25/14....I have used this new plastic welder for various pieces on my car and other things and all I can say is WOW. This is great tool and easy to use. I am by no means welding perfect with it but it is way, way simpler to use than my other unit. I have let one of my car friends weld some plastic on his Camaro and it went well on his first try. It is this one from Eastwood...http://www.eastwood.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/p25191.jpg Jack

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
I understand not bashing vendors, but thought posting the issues you had with parts from vendors would be very helpful so I know which ones I would have to either avoid or put up with the issues.

I had thought about new grill/headlight bezels/eyebrow trim...... but this thread did not really have any post that are positive, and no one is allowed to state any negatives, I am left with no good feedback? :confused:

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I understand not bashing vendors, but thought posting the issues you had with parts from vendors would be very helpful so I know which ones I would have to either avoid or put up with the issues.

I had thought about new grill/headlight bezels/eyebrow trim...... but this thread did not really have any post that are positive, and no one is allowed to state any negatives, I am left with no good feedback?
Billsnogo,

Finding some NOS style parts would be the way to go but, those are getting hard to find. I can see your point in this issue. As for the grills, I would opt to find a good used one and clean it up yourself. That's exactly what I did on my car. I did hear some bad juju on the newer ones but I picked mine up locally and took some SOS pads to it and cleaned it up. After that, I polished the upper and lower ribs to a chrome finish and proceeded to mask that off and paint the grille satin black.

The eyebrow trim I know is either a hit or miss. I would tend to stay away from the "overseas" stuff and spend the extra on the USA stuff. This is the same with the headlight bezels.

I know it doesn't completely answer your initial question but, there are some very knowledgeable people here and hopefully they will chime in.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Can the people that have bought bad or not so good parts say so without saying where they came from and let the members pm? That would be helpful to me as I have 2 cars to do so I would think that it would help others also.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Parts

My car is finally finished and its time to chime in on the aftermarket world.
You have to remember when buying parts that every car is a little different and will need some help at times.Sorry for the long post but hope it helps.

Body panels.
Golden door skins. Fit was nice. door handle holes not as crisp as AMD.
Dented one golden and ordered a Replacement from AMD. fit was also good.

Full rear quarters with sail panel
complete trunk pan
inner and outer wheel wells
both front fenders
inner fender wells
SS hood
All from AMD and fit was good!

trunk lid from AMD. Part was nice but sat a liitle low when lining up. used some washers and all was good.

rad support from Goodmark. Nice part. thick metal and fit was good.

I did like the AMD parts. The metal didn't seem thin!

Any questions please ask. Time for page 2 next round.

steve

·
Registered
9 Posts
Quarter panel question

Hello all been awhile since I have posted and have a question about quarter panels on a 74 nova. I have noticed places advertising replacement panels now for the 73 and 74 models and have looked at the pictures of them and they look correct but they also look just like the 71,72 quarter panels. Are 72s the same as a 73,74? or are they just saying there for a 73,74 to sell more? Here is a picture of one place selling them for a 73,74 model. Goodmark is also advertising quarters for 73,74. If anyone can tell from the picture what quarters these are would be a great help and thanks a lot for any info on this.

Nova Quarter Panel Skin, Left Side, 1973-1974

Part #:
85-292563-1

Attachments

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
page two

Thought I would post some more parts.

Trims parts rug. nice product. fit was ok but not around tunnel.
Trim parts. SS hood chrome. very nice
Trim parts Rear SS panel.Fit nice. nice piece
OER, Side marker lights and chrome. 350 emblems very nice fit good.
OER. front eye brow molding. take your time putting on. not to bad
OER head light bezels.Really nice and fit good. but dont get wet black paint comes off easy.
OER front grille SS badge really nice
Classic indust. Head liner. Really nice and fit good
Classic indust. Back sail panels ready to install.Fit good but getting bubbles.
will order another set and have my headliner guy glue them.
Chrome that goes on the doors and rear windows.Save your money and look for some oem stuff.
Fat Matt sound deadner.Great stuff. would buy again.
Magnaflow stainless exhaust. Love it.
Ground up. dash panel circuit board.worked great
Ground up. shifter boot and chrome ring.Fit great
Wheel vintiques 15-7 rims and trim rings fit and finish really nice.

Page three next time.

steve

Ground up. fuel lines and brake lines fit and worked great.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
page three

Ok ,Here is a few more.

Ground up. Front and rear bumbers along with brackets. brackets fit bumpers great.I did adjust holes to fit the car the way I wanted.Bumpers are great for the money!
Kyb shocks. awesome
PUI back seat covers. Fit and look great.
TWE door panels and rear panels. fit good and look good but bottom of doors are getting wavey in between the screws. car is in a heated garage.
Trim parts. door handles. Fit great and are very nice. worth the money:yes:
Energy poly front end bushings. feels nice and tight.
OER,chrome around headlights.fit and look good.
OER,sill plates. fit and look nice
OER, dome light and wiring.fit and looks good
OER rear view mirror.Fit and looks good
OER head light buckets,fit ok metal not as thick a oem
OER,rear license lamp.fit and looks good
trim parts, front parking light lens.clear, fit and look great
AMD,front filler panel. metal and plastic both fit good

Till next time:sleep:

steve

21 - 40 of 40 Posts