Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to just separate and widen my stock tubs, but I hate how one is bigger and more square than the other, so I took the outer and the inner out of the car. I only want to put tubs in big enough to go to the frame rails (going to be putting TCI rear clip on and bagging it), but I want to go with aftermarket tubs that will be the same on each side of the car. Any suggestions and ideas of where to get these from and how I should go about installing the new tubs? Thanks for any input and help guys! -Scott

·
Registered
714 Posts
silverbulletrr said:
I was going to just separate and widen my stock tubs, but I hate how one is bigger and more square than the other, so I took the outer and the inner out of the car. I only want to put tubs in big enough to go to the frame rails (going to be putting TCI rear clip on and bagging it), but I want to go with aftermarket tubs that will be the same on each side of the car. Any suggestions and ideas of where to get these from and how I should go about installing the new tubs? Thanks for any input and help guys! -Scott
Scott, I know there is a company that makes widened tubs that have the stock appearence. You get the benefit of much more clearence without the racecar tub look.
http://www.detroitspeed.com/Body10.html

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but I'm going for a look where the tubs would be the same size. Thanks for the info. though, they also have some other cool ideas at that company!

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Scott,

What year car? I just put a TCI rear in my 63 and unless you modify the kit you can't really mini tub the car. Your going to have to cut off the mounting flange for the rear shock cross member and then weld it to the frame rail rather than bolt it in. I had planned on mini tubbing the car but after getting the kit installed decided against it because it would have been a lot of work for minimal gain.

http://www.streetrodparts.tv/62_67ChevyR4_Linkcoil.htm

If you look at Fig. 4 of the install guide you can see where the rear shock cross member bracket slips around the frame rail and then flanges out for the bolts. Its really close to the edge of the stock tub.

Bob

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bob,

I am planning on putting the TCI rear clip in my '64 SS. I plan on welding everything in place instead of just bolting it on. If I do this, do you think there is going to be anything sticking outside of the outer frame rail towards the inside part of the tire? Or will everything be straight down and to the inside of the frame rails? What do you think? I know I'm only gaining inches for tire space, but a 275 tire size sounds better than a 235 to me =).

Scott

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Scott,

If you cut the outer flange off the shock cross member than you would only have a metal thickness added to the frame rail, I think those are 1/4" thick, I'll have to check for sure when I get home tonight, then you can move the tub in some. After measuring what I have now I'm planning to run a 255 rear tire, cooper has one with a section width of 10.3" and I'm measuring that I have 11.25" of clearance so I'm close to having a 1/2" on each side, without mini tubbing.

Bob

·
Registered
2 Posts
65deuce said:
I have the TCI kit in my car I have a 245/40/17 on a 17x8....looks like a 255 would fit. Mines stock wheel wells also.
I put a TCI rear 4 link in my 63, It takes a little bit of work, but I fit 275/60-15 Mickey Thompson ET street Radials. I did not have to weld in the rear body support.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info. guys! I've decided to notch the outer edge of the frame rails so I can bring the tubs to the flat part of the outer frame rails. Looks like that's all I can go without getting into moving the whole frame rails. I'd be happy with a 275 tire fitting on the back...good to hear it would fit! Thanks everyone, Scott.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts