Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which aftermarket frontend has the correct motor mount offset for a 67 Nova? Starting to shop, looking to upgrade! Thanks Rich

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
The Chassisworks frame maintains stock engine location & driveshaft
alignment.

·
Registered
149 Posts
chasis works is a nice setup but a bit on the high side as far as price, compare the heidts and tci, tci is nice because the frame rails are brought in an inch for wider wheels and tires

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
There is a good reason why the CW kit is a little more $$$...quality, complete kit (no missing parts, nuts, bolts etc.), excellent assembly manual, lots of options if you want polished billet or stainless parts, fit & finish is the best I've seen, also allows for wider front wheels, Z-bar mount exactly in stock location along with stock engine offset, header quality is beautiful, does not utilize stock Mustang parts, custom steering rack, wheel & suspension geometry re-engineered correctly, inner fender panels fit correctly, stainless button head allen hardware, other than that it's the same. If I was doing another one, I wouldn't have to think twice about which kit to use.

I'm not saying the other kits aren't any good or don't do the job as lots of people use them...I just don't like dealing with missing parts, jury rigging things, and having to deal with "massaging" things to fit correctly. I also like the option of polished stainless and billet aluminum parts.

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
I think you have to decide what your application/need is first. CW definetly makes a beautiful kit. However there are some other nice kits out there. I went with TCI due to cost and application. I do not have the car on the road yet... hopefully this weekend. I think no matter what frontend you pick it will be a substancial improvement over the stock setup.
I rode in three different cars at the atlanta nats, one with heidts, tci and CW. They all rode great, no dissapointments.
I personally did not have any fitment problems with the TCI clip and no missing parts, I think the quality is excellent. I called them to tell them they forgot to ship the instructions, however I did find them when I unboxed everything. The TCI instructions are pretty weak, however the installation is not very hard and mostly common sense.
I also ordered a heidts steering shaft kit so I could use my stock steering column. I did not like the ujoints that heidts uses, I ended up using Borgeson joints with one of them being a vibration joint.
Make no misunderstanding, of all the units I looked at CW flat out looked like the best engineered, however the TCI was a nice looking piece and fit my needs/budget.
I cannot answer for TCI support because I haven't needed it.
Tg

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
being here a short time i've witnessed some issues from all the kits available... there's a guy who hangs out here who reps for CW (TechGuy) who has time and time again always been willing to help, a guy (ibuildm) and (Rich) who have both been willing to help dealing with TCI and Heidt's issues... so from a "tech" standpoint, i really don't think there is one...

i have a Heidt's clip, any issues i had were all dealt with at this Site... Steve's Nova Site

lotsa helping members ;)

just my 2 pennies

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Are you looking to put a big block in it or wimp out with a small block ? :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Probably just a small block but I do have a 396 laying around if I want to go that way.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Some frames accept big blocks a whole lot easier than others, & different suspensions steer & brake better with a big block.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
TechGuy said:
Are you looking to put a big block in it or wimp out with a small block ? :)

Hey Mike... ain't you wimping out too ??? a small block in yer Jag ??? Hmmmmm ??? :D :D :D

Johnny (stirring the pot) :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Aye, that I be....

but my wife wanted a decent gas mileage cruiser,...her other car is a
big block 65 GTO.

the Jag will have the blue bottle in the trunk, however.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I helped a buddy install a CW kit on his '66 and all I can say is WOW. Detailed instructions, everything fit perfectly and the quality was by far the best I have ever seen on any aftermarket kit. It was a pleasure to install and work on the car afterwards. I have not had any experience installing the other kits, I have seen them on other cars but when I find "my" Nova, that will be the kit I purchase.

Remember, you get what you pay for.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts