Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is an aftermarket column worth the money??? what are the advantages other than a tilt feature which i might like. im working on a 63 wagon with a cw front clip with hopefully and ls engine.

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
Tilt is nice,late model turn signal switch that is not hard to find parts for and built in hazards.It is also basicly plug and play, in a few hours you are ready to go.If you fabrication skills you can easily make the old column work but you will have sone time invested in it.Your choice.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
which column is better as far as aftermarket goes, ididit,flamin, or any other ones. i have heard of the latemodel chevy vans, but they need some cutting, also which kit for the steering shaft would i have to use? i will probably end up with an aftermarket, i dont have all the time and tools to mess with this stuff, nor do i have the money, but i can come across that easier.

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
I have ididit in my 67 but I would assume both ididit and flaming river are both good units.I would stay away from some of the real cheap chinese columns.They are very easy to install and both come with model specific installation kits.On your 63 you will need a lower steering column support as well to anchor the lower part of the column.As for steering kit all you will need is 2 joint and some DD shaft to tie the column to the rack.It is very simple to make up,hack saw and drill is all that is needed for tools.Ihave been involved in a ididit in a 65 and it was a` few hour swap,it took longer to get the old stuff out than to put in all the new and hook it all up.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Check out my thread on installing a FR column tilt shift backup light hazard polished SS column in my 63 - http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120820

I have pictures at http://63nova.nextmill.net/column/pics.html
The 30" isn't long enough for my application, might be if you are getting just the standard column without shift/tilt but not too sure, stock column was 31.5" so no clue why FR says 30" on their site and tech line, going to see about switching to their 33" version. Column is very nice other than the wrong length!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts