Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much searching and waiting for a A/C Heater blower switch for my 4th Gen Skylark (much thanks to Philip, who put me in touch with Novajoe and to Novajoe who provided the much sought switch) I finally completed the the gages in dash project. Temp gage on the left of the speedo and oil pressure gage on the right of the fuel gage in the clock socket. It was fairly simple to do, had some good help from my 17 yr. old son. Good ideas and simple mods seen with new eyes.
Will try to incluced pics when allowed.

·
Super Moderator
12,008 Posts
I would like to see the photos. A lot of work to do it but well worth it.

I installed an Autometer tachometer and speedometer in my 77 stock cluster. Had to move the fuel gauge to the clock position.

·
Super Moderator
12,008 Posts
Not easy, cut and hack on the guage cluster and a complete hard wire of everything including the panel lamps and warning lights. Clock was removed and gas gauge took its place.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I would like to see the photos. A lot of work to do it but well worth it.

I installed an Autometer tachometer and speedometer in my 77 stock cluster. Had to move the fuel gauge to the clock position.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh....Thats nice!!!!!!! :yes:
I bought a tach, and have no idea where to put it. I cannot mount it on my steering column with an auto.

·
Registered
95 Posts
That looks like a lot of work and I would attempt to try it but it seems like that is above my level. If I mess it up, I only have one shot.
Is there a write up for it? Or a strong maybe, are you willing to make one if I give you the parts? With payment of course. LOL :)

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
This could possibly be a cheaper alternative although I like Philip's a lot better.... It's a Grand Prix cluster using a Phoenix Bezel and harness and a Glo Shift tach which fits nicely in the cluster. I have not completed this yet but will in the next 6 months or so. See post #267 in the thread below.

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192016&page=18

Also, here's what the Phoenix bezel looks like...

Here's a thread that discusses what I did...Unfortunately the pictures are gone and that limits the value for now anyway. I had some trouble with Photobucket and am still working to restore the pictures here. I will eventually restore at least most of them.

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210986&highlight=in+dash+tach

You would need to do some wiring modifications like I did but hopefully nothing too difficult. I know where you can get a Grand Prix cluster. PM me if interested.

There was a guy in the last 6 months that had a bunch of parts listed in the 75-79 for sale section but they are gone now. He had a Phoenix cluster and bezel very reasonably priced.Unfortunately I forget his name . Maybe someone else does and you could PM him. He may still have it. I have seen recently a bezel on ebay for $150.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Kim, i saw the post and yes, it'll be nice to see the pictures. But why couldn't gauges just be plug and play like hooking up the gauges' interior lights, power source and ground to the car fuse box instead of rewiring the whole thing? Just like hooking up a tach or temp gauge? Am i making sense?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Yes in a way that seems less complicated.... I think that's sort of what Philip did in re-wiring the gauge cluster, although I think he may have then plugged the new cluster harness into the existing factory harness for the engine compartment and instrument panel lighting rather than wiring each component separately. I may be wrong about that...Maybe he will comment.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
I just used the factory Nova instrument cluster and added the tach in the blank spot on the right:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/equ-6068

It was a pretty straight forward install. I had to open the dash bezel up a tiny bit. I used an angle grinder with a flap disc, but a dremel with a stone on it would work fine. I also had to open up the plastic cluster portion. I used a dremel with some cut off wheels. You just have to be mindful not to cut into the light circuits, but other than that it's super simple. An item of note: the tach doesn't have a normal bezel mounting ring, it's set up for a column mount. I just took my time and made the tach an "interference fit" so it tucked in there nice and tight. Just take your time and don't hog the hole out too much.

Wish I had better pics - but here it is in my build thread. Thankfully the thing is done and I'm just enjoying it now!

·
Super Moderator
12,008 Posts
Or a strong maybe, are you willing to make one if I give you the parts? With payment of course. LOL :)
Not a chance, too many other things to do. Right now I'm building a 72 Chevelle wagon, fuel injected 454, 4L80E trans, 12 bolt and a bunch of other mods. it will keep me busy for at least the next year.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Novaboy, that looks good. I want to put the speedometer and tach.
Philip, no worries. I was expecting you wouldn't be able to because you're a busy guy.

·
Super Moderator
12,008 Posts
My first incarnation of the dash had a tach on the right side. I used one that had a side sweep for better visibility. The stock speedometer only going to 80 mph was kinda useless in a state where the freeway speeds are 75 mph, so when it went the current set up was created. Adding the tach on the right is a lot easier to do because the original circuit board can be retained.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts