Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a 355sbc 11.5-1 6 inch rods .642 isky solid roller jesel shaft rocker chevy steel crank 950 pro systems carb teamg intake 1 inch spacer older 210 afr race ready heads dynoed at 566 hp 489 torque i want to up grade to the new 210 comp ported afrs and the new afr txr intake my old heads flowed 286 at .600 lift the new ones flow 322 @.650 lift. how much more horse and torque will i gain with the new afrs and composite intake . im thinking id be close to 600hp with the new set up which im running in a 67 canso 3400 lbs . with the current setup ive ran a [email protected] 116mph 1.56 60 ft 5500 stall 4.88s any input would be great hoping to break into the 10s with new combo. car is mostly street driven thx

·
Registered
238 Posts
I hate to tell you this but based on the dyno numbers you provided your car should be capable of running 10.60's - 10.80's in good air. Based on the E.T. and MPH that you provided your engine is producing approximately 420 - 450 horsepower at the flywheel. 566 horsepower is not easily achieved with a 355 cubic inch engine, especially with a static compression ratio of 11.5:1. If your engine truly made an honest 566 horsepower then I would focus on finding all the lost power before spending any money on different cylinder heads. I'm not putting your combination down... it's just that something does not add up based on the numbers you provided.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I would tend to agree. What kind of 60' times are you getting? Have you weighed your vehicle? What was your MPH?

I've seen chassis gremlins and torque converters cause quite a bit of heartache.:mad:

I've also seen engines that dyno'd great turn into pigs once the vehicles exhaust went on!!!:doh:

The combination you've got now looks pretty darn good. I don't see any magic parts changing a whole lot.

If you're dead set on swapping the heads and intake, why not consider getting your heads and intake ported? There's some good porters out there that can (in some cases) work miracles. Just be forewarned, there's a LOT of grinders out there who are just great salesmen!!!! :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
You will see little gain between the 2 heads, Not much gain for the money spent.

Not sure what your tire is, your car is very very close to what I had with my 355 in my 70. (now 406)

My nova ran with in a tenth of you with the 355, at 10.5 compression and 3.73 gear. (footbrake) I have the AFR competition CNC full port 210's. Mine are 6 years old and not the current head. 28x9-15 MT slicks
Not as much converter or gear as you.

For money spent, I would look at the 227's

IMHO
Al

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
nothin' other than it's a pump gas, 246/253, .510 lift, flat tappet street engine..
just think if you would of ran a roller cam in this engine.. would make more power then some with 406ci sb!

·
Registered
398 Posts
No offense to anybody but this whole you should be able to run such and such ET with a certain combo is crazy. Each one is different and I am just guessing but I would think he is running at a much higher elevation than most of you.

We run into this a lot and people just forget that in our higher altitude we have to make more power to get reasonable ET's.

I am not commenting on what it should run, just that nothing is apples to apples.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
No offense to anybody but this whole you should be able to run such and such ET with a certain combo is crazy. Each one is different and I am just guessing but I would think he is running at a much higher elevation than most of you.

We run into this a lot and people just forget that in our higher altitude we have to make more power to get reasonable ET's.

I am not commenting on what it should run, just that nothing is apples to apples.
I asked the same question over in the drag racing section. He's running at sea level but said he's never made a full pass without lifting because he doesn't have a roll bar. The current combo is capable of more.

·
Registered
156 Posts
just think if you would of ran a roller cam in this engine.. would make more power then some with 406ci sb!
True That!

I had a engine builder customer build a 383 with a set of CNC import heads. Cam was a lot like his sheet. It made 655 on a Stuska, which is easily 25+ lower than a SF, just like his sheet shows..

·
Registered
238 Posts

For what it's worth I looked at the OP's location which is listed right below his screen name and made my statements based on taking his elevation into account, which is typically right at or just above sea level. I didn't make any assumptions before posting.:)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
pete63

hey pete i agree i was running stock shocks and stock coils with old slapper bars plus i wasnt hooking afrter the 60ft mk no i upgrade to caltracs and comp drag shocks front and back with moroso drag coils upfront im gonna hold off on switching heads and intake for now. what should i set my shocks at and what hole should i set my caltracs at for a starting point im running 26x9 mt slicks with 12lbs air.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Are the numbers you posted full 1/4 mile numbers at wide open throttle, or were you lifting when the car ran those numbers?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
pete 63

yeah i was lifting because in mod class you have to be caged etc. and you cant run faster than 11.49 i still went to quick now i have to do the cage etc. but dont want to because i have the #S match drivetrain for the car 283 2spd 8.2 etc. i want to put it back to stock one day.

·
Registered
290 Posts
virtuall engine calulator says 11.13 @ 121 not to say that this program is perfect but ive compared it with lots of runs and it usaully comes up with in 2 to 3 tenths most of the time 3400lbs is get up there a bit in weight

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
355 dyno numbers

i just found dyno sheet on my 355 [email protected] [email protected] sorry about that. ibuilt this engine based off the 3-way mousefest in pop. hot roddding mag. a few years ago i used alll the same parts except i went with the old afr210 heads instead of the trick flows and used a jesel shaft rocker system. im gonna bolt on the new comp afr 210s and the new afr txr intake i figure i should be close to 600hp

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
lugnut

yeah i will give er all out and see what she does thx might get in trouble i will keeep ya posted thx jl

1 - 19 of 19 Posts