Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '01 5.3 that I am planning on dropping in my '66. Now I know next to nothing about these motors I am planning on leaving the internals stock for the most part putting a LS intake and throttle body on it but other then that I'm pretty much empty.

I'm hoping to get high 300 to low 400 out of the motor, what would be my best route for this:confused: I am on a budget so 'll be looking for biggest bang I can get out of each part.

Would the stock heads be a good candidate for a rebuild or should I get LS heads? Any and all feedback is appreciated guys.

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
I have a '01 5.3 that I am planning on dropping in my '66. Now I know next to nothing about these motors I am planning on leaving the internals stock for the most part putting a LS intake and throttle body on it but other then that I'm pretty much empty.

I'm hoping to get high 300 to low 400 out of the motor, what would be my best route for this:confused: I am on a budget so 'll be looking for biggest bang I can get out of each part.

Would the stock heads be a good candidate for a rebuild or should I get LS heads? Any and all feedback is appreciated guys.
243 or 799 heads are the best small port heads,came on L33's,LS2's and LS6's
these heads and a mild cam swap would put you close to 400 at the flywheel.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Be careful with the LS2 heads on a 5.3 block. You will have a better flowing head but a loss of static compression. You'll need to mill them to get back to the stock compression.

Keep in mind, with a good valve job, some port work, the 5.3 heads can make some nice power. Back in the day, the 5.3 heads were a trick for a high compression 5.7L engine. This was before the influx of all these aftermarket heads.

If you're looking for a ton of gain, I have been using the TFS small bore 205 heads with just the right valvetrain and a stout camshaft. These heads aren't as cheap as a set of 799/243 heads but the small bore block limits your choices. Below is a set I did for a small bore turbo project.

Ed

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Be careful with the LS2 heads on a 5.3 block. You will have a better flowing head but a loss of static compression. You'll need to mill them to get back to the stock compression.

Keep in mind, with a good valve job, some port work, the 5.3 heads can make some nice power. Back in the day, the 5.3 heads were a trick for a high compression 5.7L engine. This was before the influx of all these aftermarket heads.

If you're looking for a ton of gain, I have been using the TFS small bore 205 heads with just the right valvetrain and a stout camshaft. These heads aren't as cheap as a set of 799/243 heads but the small bore block limits your choices. Below is a set I did for a small bore turbo project.

Ed

Thanks for your input Ed, my budget won't allow for a set of TFS heads at the moment so I might just port and polish my heads and run it like that for now until I can invest in a better set. Is there a cam better than others that would be a good addition for the motor running these heads?

Thanks. Spenc

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for your input Ed, my budget won't allow for a set of TFS heads at the moment so I might just port and polish my heads and run it like that for now until I can invest in a better set. Is there a cam better than others that would be a good addition for the motor running these heads?

Thanks. Spenc
Just a really good, competition valve job, minor mill and a bowl blend is the ticket if you want to save some bucks and still make power. In terms of a camshaft, every application is different. The popular 5.3 truck grinds wouldn't be to fun in the Nova. I have a smaller grind SS than Bari's which should work well with the 5.3 and the above noted work. Made for an LS1 but it would be gnarly in a 325 incher.

Ed

·
Registered
187 Posts
Im running a 5.3 with the stock heads ported from west coast racing cylinder heads,they cnc port them and add larger intake valves[1.94],i got a gmpp hot cam with ls6 springs good to .570 lift brand new for $300,1,85 rockers and a gmpp single plane with holley 750..everyone Ive talked to said 400+ easy to the flywheel..with that said ive got 900 in heads 300 in cam and the stock long block was 250...hope yours turns out well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts