Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10 bolt rear end. I wanna know how i can go about making it into a posi. rear end without breaking the bank and if so keeping the 10 bolt.
i heard and seen a couple people put in ford explorer rear ends but not to thrilled about the idea.....

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Not sure why you'd want to put a whole new rear end in your car if you just want to switch to posi.

I kept my stock 10 bolt rear end and had a posi unit installed inside it. Got an Auburn carrier and new ring and pinion gear (3.08 to 3.73) and its been in the car for 12 years now no problems. Both tires grab when I take off, no more one wheel peel.

The parts weren't much more than a few hundred bucks. I doubt you can get a whole rear end out of another car for much cheaper than that. This way you retain your stock rear end as well.

Anyway, thats what I did, worked for me, didnt cost much, I'm happy with it. Hope that helps.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
installing a Posi shouldn't really be done with old gears. i'd say it's almost impossible to get the lash exactly what it was so you could very well end up with some gear noise you didn't have before...

an Eaton Posi runs around $375.00, a new set of gears and bearings should run around $450.00 (i think, check prices) and the installation/set up should run around $300.00-$350.00... a new set of heavier duty axles, Mosier for example) will run around $250.00... in the end you'll end up having right around $1200.00 invested and you shouldn't have any problems. you should be OK for the strip, guys have ran 11's with an 8.2 built up with no issues...

piece it together, save up & collect the parts and have it all done at once...

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
^ x 2.

Just did everything Flyer said above and boy, what a difference it has made. I went from a 3.08 up to a 3.55.

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
LOTTA ADVANTAGES FROM A POSI UNIT AND FLYER HIT IT ON THE HEAD WITH THE WAY TO GO, IF I WOULD DO IT OVER THAT WOULD BE THE WAY I'D GO FOR A STREET CRUISER :yes:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
An Eaton is more like $460...that's the best I could find. The gears and install kit should be about $325 depending on what brand you go with. Search the internet for the best prices...Jegs and Summit will match them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts