Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all a guy at work has a rebuilt 700R4 tranny for sale. For what I think is a fair price. I’m running a TH400 with 3.73 now and think it’s great, but better fuel mileage wouldn’t hurt either. Now I didn’t buy the car to be fuel friendly I bought it to rumble downtown with the fam. But saying that we will be taking the car on a few longer trips 200 km or 125 miles each way. I think that overdrive would be beneficial. I understand it takes a fair bit of work to put in a 700R4 in a 1969? Cutting driveshaft, moving the crossmember, what about floor pans? Will it fit or will they have to be modified? Will the 700R4 perform like the TH400? Looking for advice and thoughts
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
im sure ill be cut down by the 700R4 lovers BUT.
I did the opposite of you and swaped out the 700 going to a 400 and couldn't be happier.the car peforms SOO much better.now its fun to drive.

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,487 Posts
If it were me... I would rather install a "built" 2004R overdrive trans.

The gear ratio change between 1st and 2nd gear in the 700R4 trans is pretty big (large rpm drop between shift). The gear ratios in the 2004R are going to be similar to your turbo 400... plus the 2004R has a better overdrive ratio than the 700R4 (2004R - .67 overdrive vs 700R4 - .70 overdrive).
I have been running a CK Performance 2004R for several years and I love it!

Since you have a small block with your turbo 400, you can install your crossmember in the stock location with a 2004R swap. I'm not sure how the turbo 400 crossmember would work with the 700R4 swap.

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,314 Posts
I'm taking the same route with the 700r4 and 3.73's on proven results with my combination out of the machine shop, but don't stop there. There is so much more to talk about than the trans and gears to get what you want. 700r4 vs. TH400, their are all good. Carb/Manifold/Heads/Cam/Timing/Timing Curves/Torque Converter and more. They are all connected. Do you want to jump off the line everywhere you go, do you want something street-able plus track, do you want a street/highway car thats not hell on the pump. Do the research to build it around how you intend to use it. There is good info out there, most of it is in the spec's of the parts you are using.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
i like the 700 r4 i have in my 66. i do have different rear gears than you though, 3.55's. on the highway at 70 i'm only running 2200 rpm. here is a calculator link that you can play with some numbers.
http://www.wallaceracing.com/calc-rpm.php

·
Premium Member
3,487 Posts
is it rebuilt with stock components? If so and you are running some torque/h.p. you may want to having one built so you can make sure it is up to the task.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
My last car I built, I loved the 3.73's and 700R. 1st was a beast out of the hole and 4th on the Freeway was great!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don’t know much about the 700r4 just that it has been rebuilt, I’ll have to get some more info from the seller

·
Registered
50 Posts
I built a 700R4 myself with all the updates and just a couple mods and I am very happy with the results.
3.73 rear, lock up torque converter kit and I run 65 on the highway at about 2100-2300 rpms.
I have a 72 and I didn't have to cut the tunnel but I did have to buy a new cross member as the stock one sits too high.
Splines should be the same as the TH350.
Will have to shorten the driveshaft by about 2". Measure twice, cut once rules apply.
Good luck with your mod.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
everyone talks how great 1st gear is.in my experience 1st was kinda a waste .to low to soon to shift to 2nd.
now with proper gearing anything works well.
700 takes some power to run but the od is very nice.
only thing I can think of is to go for some rides with different cars having the 700 and decide if its what you want.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can understand for wanting overdrive if you have any kind of hp you better have some good parts in it .I ran s th400 for a very long time a beat the hell out it with a big block . In your stock subframe there should be 2 set of holes for crossmembers I had ran a th350 at one time use 400 crossmember and put mounting bracket on opposite side would check length if length is going to be issue, you might have to notch floor pan crossmemer.I had to do mine when I put a tko600 in my car.message me if you are looking for some more input.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 69 Nova with an M20 4 speed, tough on the highway. At 70 MPH I'm at 2800 rpm so when I started building my wife's 70 Corvette I put a 700r4 in it that I built myself with the updates and heavy duty parts so it would handle over 500hp. I did allot of reading on it and the 700r4, seemed like the way to go. You will need to shorten your driveshaft and the trany mount will be about 3'' further to the rear. I like the lower 1st gear on the 700r4. From what I found in the research I did is 3;36 gears are optimal for the 700r4. Some people love the 700r4 some like the 2004r If it is built right either one will be fine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello all a guy at work has a rebuilt 700R4 tranny for sale. For what I think is a fair price. I’m running a TH400 with 3.73 now and think it’s great, but better fuel mileage wouldn’t hurt either. Now I didn’t buy the car to be fuel friendly I bought it to rumble downtown with the fam. But saying that we will be taking the car on a few longer trips 200 km or 125 miles each way. I think that overdrive would be beneficial. I understand it takes a fair bit of work to put in a 700R4 in a 1969? Cutting driveshaft, moving the crossmember, what about floor pans? Will it fit or will they have to be modified? Will the 700R4 perform like the TH400? Looking for advice and thoughts
Thanks in advance
I ended up with a 700r4 and 3:73 gear in mine.I am not building it to race so i built it with good deals.Racing cost way too much and you will never be the fastest so suit yourself to good deals and fun.

·
Registered
14 Posts
go with it

you're running the same set up as my 71...all you should have to do is shorten the drive shaft..thats all I did...

I'm building a 62 and it running a 700R4 also...

love me some 700R4's...

·
Registered
7 Posts
2004r

I’m pushing 700 hp out of this baby and it is now going on nine years old shifts just as good as the day it was built by Don play with a stock one it needs to be done correctly 700r4 It’s a great unit or do you have to massage the floor pan driveshaft is a problem Worked on where the 200 just Bolton same size same everything as a 350

·
Premium Member
1967 Chevy II nova Hardtop
3,895 Posts
everyone talks how great 1st gear is.in my experience 1st was kinda a waste .to low to soon to shift to 2nd.
now with proper gearing anything works well.
This is precisely why I used a 3.08 rear with my 700R4 I can boil the tires and still run 70 MPH at 2000RPM:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sounds good guys thanks for all the input I’m gonna pick up the 700R4 and maybe have it put in this winter. Or tuck it away for a rainy day One thing I should add he is also throwing in a set of 3.11? gears I believe he said out of his Chevelle, So I will also have those tucked away if I want to go that route for better fuel economy. But loving the 3.73’s right now, but to be honest that’s all I know, I hope to get out this summer in a few other cars with different gear ratios and transmissions

1 - 20 of 21 Posts