Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had it up for sale but nobody is interested so I am planning a custom restoration and and wondering about how much it will cost. I need to get several parts for the exterior but am unsure where to go. I need new headlight bezels, windshield, side mirrors, and weather stripping. the paint, suspension, drive train, and interior will be built custom.

·
Registered
89 Posts
custom restoration

How deep are your pockets? How much of the work can you do yourself? Do you have a place to work on it. Tools? TIme? friends? What is the overall condition of your car? Paint & body. interior Motor and trans. tires brakes Fuel system It can really add up quick. Some parts that you might need may be available in aftermarket others might not. Do your home work first before you spend dime one.IMO

·
Registered
72 Frame off, bare metal resto-mod. 383, TH350, Eaton Posi, Complete new suspension, disk brakes
1,519 Posts
X2 with 3 speed. It really depends on how much you are going to do yourself and your buddies. Not just for raw dollars, but time. Your significant other really needs to support the project. When you see a show like Overhaulin', which is a good "training film" count the bodies then consider they are doing 16 hour days and more. That doesn't count a few others chasing parts and getting things organized. I probably spent as much time on the computer searching for parts and information and searching out donor cars as I did working on the car itself, but that;s part of the fun.

You really need to create a vision for the end product. It's going to change, but you need a baseline. If it's a showcar, that's a real big bite for a beginner. Not saying it can't be done, but it's a big bite. A good looking driver? Hey, a rat rod is a custom.

Set up an excell spreadsheet, or PM me and I'll send you a copy of mine, and go through the car system by system. Body sheet metal, Engine, trans, diff, front suspension, rear suspension, etc. Get it to the lowest level possible. Then start adding prices. I did mine so that each supplier had 2 columns, one for part number, one for price. You may want to add another for estimated shipping so that you have an idea of the total price of the part.

These projects are seldom profitable in the monetary sense if that's what you are looking for, but the satisfaction, when others give you a thumbs up is priceless.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hopefully you have a place to do the work. And unless you have the time and the money to do a complete tear down and rebuild. I would suggest, save a little / do a little. That way you can enjoy the car, less likely that you lose interest/motivation in the project. If life throws you a curve ball, it would be easier to sell the car whole then in a bunch of boxes. But as stated already, set a plan of what you want your finished project to be. It helps to keep you from replacing a new part with another new. Like if you have a part that needs replacing, so you replace it with a stock part then find out the stock part isn't strong enough. I think you understand what I am saying.
But the most important thing to remember is have fun and enjoy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im gonna start working on it in around June. Im currently over-seas but will be in california in June. Im gonna have it trucked down and from there I will start working on it. I am sure I can get everything done myself and with friends. as there is no computers in the car I dont have too much to worry about.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts