Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1972 Rally
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice on changing rear wheel lug studs? Tried a tie rod end remover but that didn't work. Tried smacking it with a hammer but all that did was make the studs unusable. I used 1/2 can of PB Blaster but that didn't seem to help with any of the previous tries. Finally, I tried an impact wrench, broke the tie rod end remover tool and almost put my eye out. What am I missing? At this point, I'm thinking of a sledgehammer but am also assuming that is probably the worse idea I've had so far.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Patience. Things like that may need to soak for awhile before trying to remove. Had a body mount bolt do that to me. While soaking for several days put a heavy duty c-clamp on there using a socket on the back side that is larger than the stud base and start applying pressure. Get a c-clamp with a hex end so you can still use your impact. Give some heat with a torch as that helps draw the PB in. Not sure I would want to beat it with a sledge. If all else fails pull the axle and use a press. Careful with those eyes or you may end up like Mr. McGoo the cartoon character. Bad joke.

·
Registered
1972 Rally
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, that is sage advice and greatly appreciated. Normally I do have safety glasses on but got impatient and didn't put them back on after getting a tool. Incredibly lucky and will (hopefully) never repeat that mistake. I do believe the first non vulgarity I said was "well McGoo, you did it again". 😃

·
Registered
1972 Nova
279 Posts
A pitman arm remover might be a little more stout than a tie rod remover, so you could try that. You could also cut the stud down closer to the axle flange so your hammering isn't bending the studs. If you don't want to buy a press, you could always drill them out.

If you have some ingenuity you could maybe use a ball joint press with some homemade adapters.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I soaked mine in PB Blaster for a day or so. Used map gas torch (hotter than propane, so be careful) threaded a lugnut on and gave a few whacks with a small sledge and all mine broke free pretty smoothly.

A ball joint tool would work too i would think if you dont like hammers. I wouldnt go wailing on it. Make the holes out of round and youre toast.

·
Registered
1972 Rally
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all, I truly appreciate the help. Torch and an air hammer got them out. Took 10 minutes after struggling for two hours the day before. Thank you all again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts