Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm swapping an 8.5" 10-bolt from a high-mileage 73 into my 71. Everything is stock and original in the rear end as far as I know.

During the swap, some fluid dripped out the little plastic do-dad on top of the pumpkin (breather?) and it looked really nasty and dirty. Should I replace the rear-end fluid? If so..I've never done it before...do you just undo the cover and let is spill out...then dump more in?

I just want to be sure high-mileage rear-ends are not like high-mileage trannys where changing the fluid might screw things up.

Anything else I should do while I have the rear-end off the car and easy to work on?

·
4,534 Posts
Well yo should change the fluid every 15K. I would change the fluid and fill it w/85-140wt GL5 Nonsynthetic. The synthetics run thinner and may cause other leaks to apear plus the don't mix well w/the additives. Be sure to use some LSD additive if equiped w/a posi unit. The 85-140 is good since when it sits and is cold the oil is thick and has less chance of leaking when sitting. Once it warms up its at normal thickness so business as usual.

Miles:D

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
Chicks love the smell of used gear lube. Rub some on though your hair and you'll be beating them off with a stick!

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nova_Guy said:
Chicks love the smell of used gear lube. Rub some on though your hair and you'll be beating them off with a stick!

Yeah I know!! I actually just used my hair to mop up the small spill on the garage floor...and wouldn't ya know it! The hot neighbor chick jumped the fence and tackled me on the garage floor!! :beer: :beer: :beer: :D

I'm gona bottle this stuff and sell at the Gap.

·
Registered
231 Posts
To refill the fluid, you need to have the carrier sitting in the position it will be in the car. Place a drain pan under the carrier, remove all bolts but two at the top of the cover. Leave these in but loosen them up a bit. Pry the cover loose to drain. When empty, remove cover, clean mating surfaces, apply sealer and install cover. Remove the plug on the side of the housing. Put the new oil in here. Fill it up until it starts coming out of the hole. Replace plug. You're done.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Ok, while we are on the subject, I have a question. I have a "limited slip" differential in my 2001 Dodge truck. I changed it to Mobil 1 75/90 synthetic gear lube but I had to add a "friction modifier" to it. I have a 4.11 "posi" 12 bolt in my Nova. Does this unit have clutches in it like the lsd in my truck? I thought "posi" was different from a "limited slip", and did not use clutch packs. If I change the fluid do I need a "friction modifier" or not?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts