Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got title cleared today on a 1963 4 door. When I bought it I drove it about 70 to 80 miles and although little harrowing at times it made it to my driveway. It is now a week and a day later and it is idling rough and stalled a couple times for a short 1 block jaunt. So here is what I have decided to do.

The guy at the auto parts store gave me some autolite 66 plugs for I-6 194 and said they are mid-range. Hopefully correct. Replace PCV valve. Change oil. Anyone have opinions on high mileage oil. Change air filter. Change fuel filter, kinda strange there is one inline before the fuel pump and I think there one inside the Rochester single barrel monojet carb. Where do I find the model number on this carb? The air filter is being held on by a cleverly twisted hanger holding a threaded bolt. Oh, and the vacuum break adjustment is being held at the last part of linkage with a cable tie. I wonder where that should adjusted. Replace oil pan and gasket because there is a huge dent in it. Maybe a speed bump? or maybe it was the contact point of hydraulic jack? Anyone know of where to get a stock 194 oil pan? Somebody I think mentioned a company name Hemmings. And how safe are lead substitute gas additives? And then the powerglide transmission since I cannot find Dexron I is Dexron III safe for it? It does not exactly glide into each setting and I cannot remember how that type of transmission should feel. I hope I am on the right track making simple and enjoyable car know the road once again.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Check the screws holding the carb together. Mine used to come every couple of months, it would have the same symptoms. I'de take off the carb tighten the screws and be good to go for a couple of months.

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
JMO, but I would take the Autolites back and get AC. Autolites ar for Fords, and AC's are for GM. When you take the oil pan off, why not just knock the dent out? If you're not going for show, it will be fine, as long as it doesn't leak.

Randy (JMO though!);)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm

Well looking at other things as well as the ones mentioned it looks as though the exhaust manifold to the exhaust pipe is loose. I wondered where that smoke was coming from. I think this could have an affect of stalling when I put it in drive. Also it looks as though the previous owner replaced the intake and exhaust manifold gaskets. maybe they forgot to connect the pipe at the manifold just before the muffler. I will get to it when money allows. I can only do a little at time right now. Thank for the replies and for and any future replies.:eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts